The University of Rhode Island Department of
Athletics has partnered with BankNewport to recognize select
Student-Athletes of the Week throughout the 2013-14 academic year.
Each Monday, the best male and female performers from the previous
week will be featured on GoRhody.com.
Kerry Wallack – Women's Basketball
– Madison, Conn./Daniel
- Kerry Wallack was named to the FAU Thanksgiving Tournament All-Tournament Team after averaging 15.0 points, 8.0 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 1.5 steals over two games.
- She recorded her second career double-double (13p/12r) in Rhody's first win of the season, a 70-59 victory over Detroit.
- Wallack then netted a season-high 17 points to go along with four rebounds against FAU.
- Overall, she shot .500 from the floor (13-for-26) and was a perfect 3-of-3 from the line in URI's two games at the FAU tourney.
- Wallack is averaging 8.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game this season.
Gilvydas Biruta - Men's Basketball
- Gilvydas Biruta helped lead Rhode Island to a 2-1 week, beating UNC Asheville and McNeese State in the NIT Season Tipoff before falling at George Mason
- The 6-8 forward averaged 14.0 points and 6.0 rebounds, while shooting 70.0% from the floor and 86.7% from the charity stripe over the three-game span.
- He logged 13 points and six rebounds vs. Asheville before pouring in a season-high 17 points and eight boards against McNeese State.
- In URI's final game fo the week, Biruta registered 12 points and four rebounds at George Mason.
- He ranks third on the Rams in scoring (9.7 ppg) and leads the team in rebounding (5.6 rpg).
Previous BankNewport Student-Athletes of the Week
- Nov. 25 - Xavier Munford (men's basketball), Chaya Zabludoff (swimming)
- Nov. 18 - Tayra Melendez (women's basketball), Josh Moody (football)
- Nov. 11 - Ifeanyi Onyekaba (men's basketball), Lena Vedder (volleyball)
- Nov. 4 - Paige Ethier (women's cross country), Andy Hess (men's soccer)
- Oct. 28 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Joseph Leavitt (golf)
- Oct. 21 - Samantha Leyh (women's soccer), Dylan Smith (football)
- Oct. 14 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Nick Fairweather (golf)
- Oct. 7 - Callan Kinnan (volleyball), Wesley Matthews (men's soccer)