The University of Rhode Island Department of
Athletics has partnered with BankNewport to recognize select
Student-Athletes of the Week throughout the 2013-14 academic year.
Each Monday, the best male and female performers from the previous
week will be featured on GoRhody.com.
Chaya Zabludoff – Swimming &
– Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif./Palos
- Chaya Zabludoff swam to a first-place finish in the 500-yard freestyle while also winning the 1000-yard freestyle in a school record time of 10:12.00 this past weekend.
- She was part of the first-place 200-yard freestyle relay team that set a new facility record (1:37.16) at the Tootell Aquatics Center.
- Zabludoff also set a new Tootell record with the 400-yard medley relay team that captured the race in a time of 3:50.85.
- All four of the above performances also set new records at the Harold Anderson meet, which Rhode Island claimed for the seventh year in a row.
Xavier Munford - Men's Basketball
– Hillside, N.J./Iowa Western
- Xavier Munford averaged 18.0 points, 5.7 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 1.0 steals in a 2-1 week for Rhode Island.
- His best performance of the week came at #5/4 Arizona, where he poured in a game-high 22 points in the second round of the NIT Season Tipoff.
- The senior guard had 16 points, seven rebounds and five assists the previous night vs. top ranked D-II power Metro State in the NIT first round.
- Last time out vs. UMass Lowell, Munford led URI with 16 points while grabbing six boards and dishing out a career-best six assists.
Previous BankNewport Student-Athletes of the Week
- Nov. 18 - Tayra Melendez (women's basketball), Josh Moody (football)
- Nov. 11 - Ifeanyi Onyekaba (men's basketball), Lena Vedder (volleyball)
- Nov. 4 - Paige Ethier (women's cross country), Andy Hess (men's soccer)
- Oct. 28 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Joseph Leavitt (golf)
- Oct. 21 - Samantha Leyh (women's soccer), Dylan Smith (football)
- Oct. 14 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Nick Fairweather (golf)
- Oct. 7 - Callan Kinnan (volleyball), Wesley Matthews (men's soccer)