The University of Rhode Island Department of
Athletics has partnered with BankNewport to recognize select
Student-Athletes of the Week throughout the 2013-14 academic year.
Each Monday, the best male and female performers from the previous
week will be featured on GoRhody.com.
Tayra Melendez – Women’s
Sophomore – Mattapan,
Mass./The Rivers School
- Tayra Melendez averaged 18 points per game in two contests last week.
- She also averaged 5.0 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game.
- Melendez shot 85.7 percent (12-for-14) from the free throw line.
- Her 36 points combined accounted for 34 percent of Rhode Island’s points against Central Connecticut and Boston University
Josh Moody - Football
Senior – Staten Island,
- Josh Moody led Rhode Island with a career-high eight tackles at Maine.
- He also had a career-high three tackles for loss against the Black Bears.
- Moody leads all CAA Football players with four blocked kicks this season.
- A team captain this year, Moody was second on the team with 8.5 tackles for loss.
Previous BankNewport Student-Athletes of the Week
- Nov. 11 - Ifeanyi Onyekaba (men's basketball), Lena Vedder (volleyball)
- Nov. 4 - Paige Ethier (women's cross country), Andy Hess (men's soccer)
- Oct. 28 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Joseph Leavitt (golf)
- Oct. 21 - Samantha Leyh (women's soccer), Dylan Smith (football)
- Oct. 14 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Nick Fairweather (golf)
- Oct. 7 - Callan Kinnan (volleyball), Wesley Matthews (men's soccer)