The University of Rhode Island Department of
Athletics has partnered with BankNewport to recognize select
Student-Athletes of the Week throughout the 2013-14 academic year.
Each Monday, the best male and female performers from the previous
week will be featured on GoRhody.com.
Ifeanyi Onyekaba - Men's Basketball
Sophomore - Abuja,
Nigeria/Virginia Episcopal School
- Ifeanyi Onyekaba recorded a team-high 21 points and 10 rebounds in the Rams' season-opening victory over Maine.
- He had the game's only double-double in his first-ever appearance for Rhode Island.
- Onyekaba was 8-for-10 from the field in just 20 minutes of action.
- Eight of his 10 boards were on the offensive glass.
Lena Vedder - Volleyball
Freshman - Arnsberg,
Germany/Sanict Visula Gymnasium Neheim
- Lena Vedder posted a .388 attack percentage in a 1-1 week for the Rams, recording 24 kills on 49 attacks with just five errors.
- She also added nine blocks, five aces and five digs while averaging 4.19 points and 3.00 kills per set.
- Vedder played a key role in URI’s postseason-clinching win at third-place George Washington on Sunday as she led the team with 13 kills, including the one that gave the Rams’ match point (24-15) in the fourth set.
- She has recorded double-digit kills in seven of the Rams’ last 10 matches.
Previous BankNewport Student-Athletes of the Week
- Nov. 4 - Paige Ethier (women's cross country), Andy Hess (men's soccer)
- Oct. 28 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Joseph Leavitt (golf)
- Oct. 21 - Dylan Smith (football), Samantha Leyh (tennis)
- Oct. 14 - Nick Fairweather (golf), Galina Chernykh (tennis)
- Oct. 7 - Wesley Matthews (men's soccer), Callan Kinnan (volleyball)