The University of Rhode Island Department of
Athletics has partnered with BankNewport to recognize select
Student-Athletes of the Week throughout the 2013-14 academic year.
Each Monday, the best male and female performers from the previous
week will be featured on GoRhody.com.
Galina Chernykh - Tennis
Sophomore - Tomsk,
- Galina Chernykh captured the Flight A Singles title, Sunday morning at the NJIT Invitational.
- She downed four consecutive opponents in straight sets, combining to outscore them by a 48-16 margin.
- It is the second tournament title that Chernykh has won this fall as she also captured the top singles flight in the season-opening tournament at Stony Brook.
- Chernykh finished the fall with an 11-2 record in singles, with her only two losses coming at the ITA Regionals.
Joseph Leavitt - Golf
Sophomore - Atkinson, N.H./Central
- Joseph Leavitt finished in a tie for first place at the 79th annual NEIGA Championship.
- He was 1-under par for the 36 holes of play, carding an opening round 71 (-1) on Sunday before shooting an even-par 72 during Monday's final round.
- Despite falling to Central Connecticut's Monte Mullen on the second playoff hole, he helped lead Rhode Island to a second-place finish (out of 38 teams).
- He also earned All-New England honors for his performance at the championship.