The University of Rhode Island Department of
Athletics has partnered with BankNewport to recognize select
Student-Athletes of the Week throughout the 2013-14 academic year.
Each Monday, the best male and female performers from the previous
week will be featured on GoRhody.com.
Nick Fairweather - Golf
Sophomore - Windham, N.H. /
- Finished in a tie for 10th place at the Temple Invitational, held Oct. 12-13 at the Philmont C.C. In Huntington Valley, Pa.
- Fired a two-under par score of 68 during the final round of play on Sunday, Oct. 28 – tying for his low collegiate round.
- Carded three birdies on the back nine on Sunday.
- Is the reigning A-10 Golfer of the Week.
Galina Chernykh - Tennis
Sophomore - Tomsk, Russia /
- Helped lead Rhody to a 2-0 record on the week, downing both Monmouth (7-0) and Siena (5-2) at the URI Tennis Complex.
- Defeated Monmouth's #1 player, Brooke Verdiglione, by a score of 6-0, 6-0.
- Also knocked off Siena's #1, Ali Garrity, in straight sets (6-2, 6-2).
- Teamed with Elizaveta Sadovnikova to pick up a pair of 8-2 wins at #1 doubles.
- Is 7-1 in singles and 5-3 in doubles, competing at the top position each time out this season.
Previous BankNewport Student-Athletes of the Week
- Oct. 7 - Wesley Matthews (men's soccer), Callan Kinnan (volleyball)