The University of Rhode Island Department of
Athletics has partnered with BankNewport to recognize select
Student-Athletes of the Week throughout the 2013-14 academic year.
Each Monday, the best male and female performers from the previous
week will be featured on GoRhody.com.
Wesley Matthews - Men's Soccer
Freshman - Defender - Mafikeng, South
Africa / Int'l School of South Africa
- Wesley Matthews headed in a free kick by Ryan Oakley for the game-winning goal in URI’s only game of the week – a 2-0 victory at Sacred Heart on Saturday night.
- Additionally, he anchored Rhody’s back line, which allowed just two shots on goal all night – both of which came in the first half.
- The Rams’ defense also gave up just three corner kicks as URI picked up its first shutout of the season.
- His tally, which came at the 79:00 mark, ended a 457:54 scoring drought which dated back to Sept. 8.
- Matthews played all 90 minutes in the win and has earned the start in each of Rhody’s eight games this season.
Callan Kinnan - Volleyball
Freshman - Setter - Los Angeles,
Calif. / Notre Dame HS
- Callan Kinnan averaged 10.5 assists per set over the week, collecting 147 overall.
- She had two matches with 50+ assists – vs. Brown (51) and vs. Duquesne (50).
- With 636 assists so far this season, she leads all active players on the roster and already ranks 20th all-time at URI in career assists.
- Kinnan double-doubled vs. both Brown (51a/15d) and Duquesne (50a/11d) - her fifth and sixth double-doubles of the season.
- The freshman setter also added nine blocks, seven kills and six aces on the week.
- She currently leads the Atlantic 10 with 10.60 assists per set and is the only freshman ranked in the category.