The University of Rhode Island Department of
Athletics has partnered with BankNewport to recognize select
Student-Athletes of the Week throughout the 2013-14 academic year.
Each Monday, the best male and female performers from the previous
week will be featured on GoRhody.com.
Lou Distasio - Baseball
- Tossed a complete game, one-hit shutout against Fordham on Sunday, recording six 1-2-3 innings.
- Took a no-hitter into the seventh before allowing Fordham its lone hit of the day – a single through the left side – with two away.
- Walked the bases full in the fourth inning, but responded with back-to-back strikeouts to get URI out of the jam.
- Got four leadoff strikeouts and four inning-ending strikeouts over his nine innings of work.
- Overall, finished the day with a career-high 10 strikeouts.
Jocelyn Mattison - Softball
Hampton, N.H./St. Thomas Aquinas
- Accounted for five of the eight runs Rhode Island scored (4 RBI, 1 run) in its doubleheader sweep of Saint Joseph's.
- Drove in both runs in the 2-1 victory and had two RBI and a run scored a run in the 6-3 win.
- Also made a key defensive play to turn a double play, catching a popped sacrifice bunt attempt and then doubling the runner off of first base.
- For the week, she hit safely in all three games and batted .444 (4-for-9) with a double, three singles, four RBI and one run scored.
- Became just the third player in school history to reach 1,000 putouts on defense on Wednesday against Providence.
Previous BankNewport Student-Athletes of the Week
- March 31 - Anthony Davidson (men's track & field), Second V8+ Boat (rowing)
- March 24 - Sam Bedore (softball), Lou Distasio (baseball)
- March 17 - Taylor Archer (softball), Steve Moyers (baseball)
- March 10 - T.J. Buchanan (men's basketball), Alexa Pelletier (women's track & field)
- March 3 - Xavier Munford (men's basketball), Emily Renna (women's track & field)
- Feb. 24 - Chaya Zabludoff (swimming), Men's Indoor Track & Field Team
- Feb. 17 - Tim Caputo (baseball), Caroline Casey (volleyball)
- Feb. 10 - E.C. Matthews (men's basketball), Alexa Pelletier (women's track & field)
- Feb. 3 - William James (men's track & field), Genevieve Rybicki (women's track & field)
- Dec. 9 - Xavier Munford (men's basketball), Chaya Zabludoff (swimming & diving)
- Dec. 2 - Gilvydas Biruta (men's basketball), Kerry Wallack (women's basketball)
- Nov. 25 - Xavier Munford (men's basketball), Chaya Zabludoff (swimming)
- Nov. 18 - Tayra Melendez (women's basketball), Josh Moody (football)
- Nov. 11 - Ifeanyi Onyekaba (men's basketball), Lena Vedder (volleyball)
- Nov. 4 - Paige Ethier (women's cross country), Andy Hess (men's soccer)
- Oct. 28 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Joseph Leavitt (golf)
- Oct. 21 - Samantha Leyh (women's soccer), Dylan Smith (football)
- Oct. 14 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Nick Fairweather (golf)
- Oct. 7 - Callan Kinnan (volleyball), Wesley Matthews (men's soccer)