The University of Rhode Island Department of
Athletics has partnered with BankNewport to recognize select
Student-Athletes of the Week throughout the 2013-14 academic year.
Each Monday, the best male and female performers from the previous
week will be featured on GoRhody.com.
Sam Bedore - Softball
Bangor, Maine /
- Pitched a complete game to lead the Rams to a 4-2 win over Dayton Saturday, the team's first conference win.
- Became the fourth player in school history to reach 300 career strikeouts. The other three were Gwen Rack (493, 1999-2002), Sue Foggo (328, 1993-96) and Jenna Thurston (308, 2003-04).
- Made the 65th stard of her career, moving her into a tie for ninth place in school history.
- Ranks third in the Atlantic 10 with 52 strikeouts this season.
- Leads Rhode Island in ERA (3.98), wins (3), innings pitched (56.1), strikeouts (52), appearances (19) and saves (1).
Lou Distasio - Baseball
Yarmouth, Maine /
- Gave up just one (unearned) run against defending Atlantic 10 champion and preseason favorite Saint Louis on Sunday.
- Recorded four strikeouts and allowed four hits over a 6.1-inning, no-decision start.
- Held the Billikens to a .190 average on the afternoon. Entering the weekend, SLU was hitting .272 as a team.
- Is tied for the team lead in strikeouts (19) and ranks second overall in innings pitched (25.1).
Previous BankNewport Student-Athletes of the Week
- March 17 - Taylor Archer (softball), Steve Moyers (baseball)
- March 10 - T.J. Buchanan (men's basketball), Alexa Pelletier (women's track & field)
- March 3 - Xavier Munford (men's basketball), Emily Renna (women's track & field)
- Feb. 24 - Chaya Zabludoff (swimming), Men's Indoor Track & Field Team
- Feb. 17 - Tim Caputo (baseball), Caroline Casey (volleyball)
- Feb. 10 - E.C. Matthews (men's basketball), Alexa Pelletier (women's track & field)
- Feb. 3 - William James (men's track & field), Genevieve Rybicki (women's track & field)
- Dec. 9 - Xavier Munford (men's basketball), Chaya Zabludoff (swimming & diving)
- Dec. 2 - Gilvydas Biruta (men's basketball), Kerry Wallack (women's basketball)
- Nov. 25 - Xavier Munford (men's basketball), Chaya Zabludoff (swimming)
- Nov. 18 - Tayra Melendez (women's basketball), Josh Moody (football)
- Nov. 11 - Ifeanyi Onyekaba (men's basketball), Lena Vedder (volleyball)
- Nov. 4 - Paige Ethier (women's cross country), Andy Hess (men's soccer)
- Oct. 28 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Joseph Leavitt (golf)
- Oct. 21 - Samantha Leyh (women's soccer), Dylan Smith (football)
- Oct. 14 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Nick Fairweather (golf)
- Oct. 7 - Callan Kinnan (volleyball), Wesley Matthews (men's soccer)