The University of Rhode Island Department of
Athletics has partnered with BankNewport to recognize select
Student-Athletes of the Week throughout the 2013-14 academic year.
Each Monday, the best male and female performers from the previous
week will be featured on GoRhody.com.
T.J. Buchanan - Men's Basketball
Kalamazoo, Mich. /
- Buchanan had his best game as a Rhode Island Ram this past Wednesday, falling three assists short of becoming just the second URI player to achieve a triple-double.
- Registered career-highs in scoring (17 points), rebounds (11), and assists (7) against Fordham, marking the first double-double of his career.
- The junior tri-captain connected on 5-of-6 from the floor (1-1 3FG) and grabbed nine of his 11 boards on the defensive end.
Alexa Pelletier - Women's Track & Field
Hampton, N.H. /
- Set a new Rhode Island record in the 3,000 meters (9:39.74) at the ECAC Championship.
- The record-setting time came just a week after she turned in the program's second-best performance (9:43.15) at the New England Championship.
- Has trimmed 27 seconds off her season-opening time of 10:06.06.
Previous BankNewport Student-Athletes of the Week
- March 3 - Xavier Munford (men's basketball), Emily Renna (women's track & field)
- Feb. 24 - Chaya Zabludoff (swimming), Men's Indoor Track & Field Team
- Feb. 17 - Tim Caputo (baseball), Caroline Casey (volleyball)
- Feb. 10 - E.C. Matthews (men's basketball), Alexa Pelletier (women's track & field)
- Feb. 3 - William James (men's track & field), Genevieve Rybicki (women's track & field)
- Dec. 9 - Xavier Munford (men's basketball), Chaya Zabludoff (swimming & diving)
- Dec. 2 - Gilvydas Biruta (men's basketball), Kerry Wallack (women's basketball)
- Nov. 25 - Xavier Munford (men's basketball), Chaya Zabludoff (swimming)
- Nov. 18 - Tayra Melendez (women's basketball), Josh Moody (football)
- Nov. 11 - Ifeanyi Onyekaba (men's basketball), Lena Vedder (volleyball)
- Nov. 4 - Paige Ethier (women's cross country), Andy Hess (men's soccer)
- Oct. 28 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Joseph Leavitt (golf)
- Oct. 21 - Samantha Leyh (women's soccer), Dylan Smith (football)
- Oct. 14 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Nick Fairweather (golf)
- Oct. 7 - Callan Kinnan (volleyball), Wesley Matthews (men's soccer)