The University of Rhode Island Department of
Athletics has partnered with BankNewport to recognize select
Student-Athletes of the Week throughout the 2013-14 academic year.
Each Monday, the best male and female performers from the previous
week will be featured on GoRhody.com.
Xavier Munford - Men's Basketball
Hillside, N.J./St. Benedict's
Prep/Iowa Western College
- Became the 51st player in Rhode Island history to reach the 1,000 career point mark, Saturday vs. Richmond.
- Is just one of two URI players in the last 50 years to accomplish the career scoring milestone in less than 60 games (Eric Leslie, 50 games, 1988-90).
- In addition to scoring 15 points against the Spiders, he also dished out four assists and registered two blocks in the 66-43 win.
- Played all 40 minutes at UMass on Wednesday night, tallying 16 points, five rebounds and two assists.
Emily Renna - Women's Track & Field
- Became Rhode Island's first-ever New England Champion in the 60-meter hurdles.
- Not only was her first-place time of 8.57 a personal best, it also set a new school record as well as a new ECAC mark.
- Renna's record-setting time came just one week after she had tied Lara-Jane Que's former school record of 8.58 at the Atlantic 10 Championship.
Previous BankNewport Student-Athletes of the Week
- Feb. 24 - Chaya Zabludoff (swimming), Men's Indoor Track & Field Team
- Feb. 17 - Tim Caputo (baseball), Caroline Casey (volleyball)
- Feb. 10 - E.C. Matthews (men's basketball), Alexa Pelletier (women's track & field)
- Feb. 3 - William James (men's track & field), Genevieve Rybicki (women's track & field)
- Dec. 9 - Xavier Munford (men's basketball), Chaya Zabludoff (swimming & diving)
- Dec. 2 - Gilvydas Biruta (men's basketball), Kerry Wallack (women's basketball)
- Nov. 25 - Xavier Munford (men's basketball), Chaya Zabludoff (swimming)
- Nov. 18 - Tayra Melendez (women's basketball), Josh Moody (football)
- Nov. 11 - Ifeanyi Onyekaba (men's basketball), Lena Vedder (volleyball)
- Nov. 4 - Paige Ethier (women's cross country), Andy Hess (men's soccer)
- Oct. 28 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Joseph Leavitt (golf)
- Oct. 21 - Samantha Leyh (women's soccer), Dylan Smith (football)
- Oct. 14 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Nick Fairweather (golf)
- Oct. 7 - Callan Kinnan (volleyball), Wesley Matthews (men's soccer)