The University of Rhode Island Department of
Athletics has partnered with BankNewport to recognize select
Student-Athletes of the Week throughout the 2013-14 academic year.
Each Monday, the best male and female performers from the previous
week will be featured on GoRhody.com.
Chaya Zabludhoff - Swimming
Rancho Palos Verdes,
- Won two gold medals at the Atlantic 10 Swimming & Diving Championship.
- Captured the 500-yard freestyle in a Rhode Island record time of 4:48.37, which also set a new facility record at the Spire Institute in Geneva, Ohio.
- Also set a new URI and Atlantic 10 record in the 200-yard freestyle, winning the event in a time of 1:48.04.
- Set a new school mark in the 1650-yard freestyle (16:58.02) and was part of four URI record-setting relay teams: 800-yard freestyle (7:25.47), 400-yard freestyle (3:26.19), 200-yard freestyle (1:34.64) and 400-yard medley (3:46.32).
Men's Indoor Track & Field Team
- Captured URI's 17th Atlantic 10 Track & Field Championship title on Sunday afternoon.
- Collected 171.50 points and finished 41 points ahead of second-place George Mason.
- Had six individuals win a total of seven events: Trent Baltzell (heptathlon), Anthony Davidson (500m), Ben Ezike (long jump), William Janes (weight throw), Kebba Nasso (triple jump, 400m), & James Strawderman (pole vault).
- Head Coach John Copeland named A-10 Coach of the Year.
Previous BankNewport Student-Athletes of the Week
- Feb. 17 - Tim Caputo (baseball), Caroline Casey (volleyball)
- Feb. 10 - E.C. Matthews (men's basketball), Alexa Pelletier (women's track & field)
- Feb. 3 - William James (men's track & field), Genevieve Rybicki (women's track & field)
- Dec. 9 - Xavier Munford (men's basketball), Chaya Zabludoff (swimming & diving)
- Dec. 2 - Gilvydas Biruta (men's basketball), Kerry Wallack (women's basketball)
- Nov. 25 - Xavier Munford (men's basketball), Chaya Zabludoff (swimming)
- Nov. 18 - Tayra Melendez (women's basketball), Josh Moody (football)
- Nov. 11 - Ifeanyi Onyekaba (men's basketball), Lena Vedder (volleyball)
- Nov. 4 - Paige Ethier (women's cross country), Andy Hess (men's soccer)
- Oct. 28 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Joseph Leavitt (golf)
- Oct. 21 - Samantha Leyh (women's soccer), Dylan Smith (football)
- Oct. 14 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Nick Fairweather (golf)
- Oct. 7 - Callan Kinnan (volleyball), Wesley Matthews (men's soccer)