The University of Rhode Island Department of
Athletics has partnered with BankNewport to recognize select
Student-Athletes of the Week throughout the 2013-14 academic year.
Each Monday, the best male and female performers from the previous
week will be featured on GoRhody.com.
E.C. Matthews – Men's Basketball
- Averaged 14.5 points and 3.0 rebounds per game last week.
- Netted a career-high 24 points against UMass, while also adding three rebounds and a pair of assists.
- Collected his league-leading fourth Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week award on Monday morning.
- Among all A-10 freshmen, ranks second in scoring (12.4 ppg) and fourth in rebounding (4.3 rpg).
Alexa Pelletier - Women's Track &
- Competed in the 3,000-meter at BU's Valentine Invitational, finishing 28th out of 120 runners in a time of 9:47.23.
- Set a new Rhode Island freshman class record with her performance, trimming former record holder Heather Whitmore's mark (9:57.53) by over 10 seconds. Whitmore's record had stood for 26 years.
- Pelletier's time also was URI's second-best all-time mark in the event.
Previous BankNewport Student-Athletes of the Week
- Feb. 3 - William James (men's track & field), Genevieve Rybicki (women's track & field)
- Dec. 9 - Xavier Munford (men's basketball), Chaya Zabludoff (swimming & diving)
- Dec. 2 - Gilvydas Biruta (men's basketball), Kerry Wallack (women's basketball)
- Nov. 25 - Xavier Munford (men's basketball), Chaya Zabludoff (swimming)
- Nov. 18 - Tayra Melendez (women's basketball), Josh Moody (football)
- Nov. 11 - Ifeanyi Onyekaba (men's basketball), Lena Vedder (volleyball)
- Nov. 4 - Paige Ethier (women's cross country), Andy Hess (men's soccer)
- Oct. 28 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Joseph Leavitt (golf)
- Oct. 21 - Samantha Leyh (women's soccer), Dylan Smith (football)
- Oct. 14 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Nick Fairweather (golf)
- Oct. 7 - Callan Kinnan (volleyball), Wesley Matthews (men's soccer)