The University of Rhode Island Department of
Athletics has partnered with BankNewport to recognize select
Student-Athletes of the Week throughout the 2013-14 academic year.
Each Monday, the best male and female performers from the previous
week will be featured on GoRhody.com.
William Janes – Men's Track &
- Won the URI Coaches Tribute meet with a career best 63' 5.5" in the weight throw.
- This mark currently leads the conference and is ranked 45th in the country.
- The throw over the weekend was the seventh longest all-time in URI history.
- Second time placing first in weight throw this season. He also won the weight throw at the Sorlien Invitational on Jan. 18.
Genevieve Rybicki - Women's Track &
Hillside, N.J./Iowa Western
- Placed first in weight throw in Coaches Invitational (57' 3").
- Second time placing first in weight throw this season. She also won the weight throw at the Sorlien Invitational Jan. 18.
- Rybicki's throw was an ECAC Qualifying mark.
Previous BankNewport Student-Athletes of the Week
9 - Xavier Munford (men's basketball), Chaya Zabludoff
(swimming & diving)
Dec. 2 - Gilvydas Biruta (men's basketball), Kerry Wallack (women's basketball)
- Nov. 25 - Xavier Munford (men's basketball), Chaya Zabludoff (swimming)
- Nov. 18 - Tayra Melendez (women's basketball), Josh Moody (football)
- Nov. 11 - Ifeanyi Onyekaba (men's basketball), Lena Vedder (volleyball)
- Nov. 4 - Paige Ethier (women's cross country), Andy Hess (men's soccer)
- Oct. 28 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Joseph Leavitt (golf)
- Oct. 21 - Samantha Leyh (women's soccer), Dylan Smith (football)
- Oct. 14 - Galina Chernykh (tennis), Nick Fairweather (golf)
- Oct. 7 - Callan Kinnan (volleyball), Wesley Matthews (men's soccer)