How it Happened
After taking an early lead in the match with a 25-22 first-set victory, Rhode Island fell behind after back-to-back George Mason wins gave the home team a 2-1 advantage.
The Rams got off to a shaky start in the forth set as the Patriots opened on a 6-0 run. Rhody responded by scoring eight of the next 10 points however, to tie things up at eight apiece. A Mason error, followed by back-to-back service aces by Mariah Paulette, put URI on top for good at 11-8. From there, Rhode Island outscored George Mason 14-6 to force a decisive fifth set.
It was all George Mason there though, as the Patriots opened on an 8-2 tear and eventually won 15-11.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt sophomore Natale Zanellato led Rhode Island with 17 kills on the night. She also added 10 digs and a pair of blocks.
- Senior Mckenzie Kiesle registered double-digit kills as well, finishing with 10.
- Junior Hazel Brown had four total blocks and nine kills for the Rams.
- Junior Jenna McGuire and freshman Mariah Paulette each had six blocks on the night. Paulette had two solos while McGuire had one. The pair also combined for 15 kills while Paulette served up three aces.
- Senior Lauren Pick finished with 42 assists, 14 digs and three blocks.
- Senior Olivia Budinich (10) and freshman Ella Ratzloff (10) each had double-digit digs. Sophomore Annie Ell added nine.
Rhode Island is back in action on Friday night at Saint Louis. Match time is set for 8 p.m. (Eastern).