How it Happened
Rhode Island (7-9) dropped to 1-3 in the Atlantic 10 with a 3-0 loss at George Washington Friday night. With the win, the Colonials improved to 8-7 overall and 2-2 in league play.
URI and GW battled back and forth in the first set before the Colonials used an 11-2 run to move ahead 21-12. With George Washington later leading 24-16, the Rams scored six straight points but the comeback fell short as Jordan Young eventually delivered a set-clinching kill.
GW kept things rolling in the second set, building a 14-8 lead and never letting the Rams close the gap to less than four. A Rhody service ace eventually gave the Colonials the 25-18 victory.
The third set featured four lead changes and 10 ties, the last of which came on an Annie Ell service ace that made it an 18-18 game. Rhode Island managed just three more points however, as George Washington finished the sweep with a 25-21 win.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt sophomore Natale Zanellato led the Rams with 13 kills on the night.
- Senior Lauren Pick recorded a team-high 27 assists to go along with six digs a pair of kills.
- Senior Olivia Budinich and freshman Ella Ratzloff each had 11 digs.
- Sophomore Annie Ell served up a pair of aces and added five digs.
- Junior Jenna McGuire and freshman Gabrielle Shilling each had seven kills. McGuire also picked up her team-leading eighth block solo of the season.
The Rams are back in action Saturday night at George Mason.