How It Happened
Rhode Island fell to Hofstra in straight sets (25-14, 25-15, 25-20) Saturday afternoon at the Hilton Penn's Landing Temple Invitational.
The match started off close with Rhody and Hofstra trading points until the score was tied at 9-9. From there, the Pride reeled off four straight points to take the lead for good. A Claire Chaplinsky kill got URI back within two at 14-12, but Hofstra used a 9-0 run to put the set out of reach.
The second set began in similar fashion, with back-and-forth play that had Rhode Island up 12-10 after a kill by Kelsey Montgomery. The Pride outscored the Rams 15-3 down the stretch however, winning 25-15 to take a 2-0 lead in the match.
Despite the third set being the closest of the match, Rhode Island's only lead came on a Lauren Pick service ace that made it 2-1. Back-to-back URI errors then gave Hofstra the lead for good as it sealed the sweep with a 25-20 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- As a team, Rhode Island managed just 25 kills while Hofstra combined for 48.
- Similarly, the Pride converted 69 percent (35-50) of its sideout opportunities while the Rams were just 34-of-74 (45%).
- Redshirt sophomore Natale Zanellato led Rhode Island with seven kills. She also recorded six digs.
- Senior Mckenzie Kiesle and freshman Mariah Paulette each finished with five kills and a pair of block assists.
- Senior Lauren Pick had 20 of the team's 23 assists, with classmate Olivia Budinich collecting the other three. Budinich also recorded a team-high 16 digs.
The Rams return to action next weekend at the Holy Cross Invitational. There, Rhody will face Drake and Columbia on Friday before taking on the host Crusaders on Saturday.