How it Happened
After knotting the match by winning the second set, Rhode Island dropped a pair of tight stanzas and fell at Temple 3-1 (25-15, 19-25, 31-29, 25-22) Friday night at the Hilton Penn's Landing Temple Invitational.
The Rams (0-2) rebounded from a tough first set, using its defense to get back into the match. Rhody limited Temple (1-0) to an .029 hitting percentage in the second set as it evened the match.
Both teams were clicking offensively in the third set. Rhode Island hit .286 as a team, getting 20 kills and just six attack errors. Temple, meanwhile, hit .262 with 15 kills and four errors. Rhody built an early 12-6 lead in the third, but Temple rallied and eventually tied the score 13-13. Neither side led by more than two the rest of the way, but back-to-back kills from Temple's Irem Asci gave the Owls the swing set.
Temple clinched the win by maintaining a slight lead throughout the fourth set. Though the teams were never separated by more than three points, the Owls led for nearly the entire set, with only five ties along the way.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt sophomore Natale Zanellato had a match-high 16 kills. She added eight digs and committed just four errors in 51 attacks.
- Sophomore Claire Chaplinsky added 14 kills to give the Rams a second player with double digits.
- Senior Lauren Pick had the team's first double-double of the season, getting 42 assists and 15 digs.
- Senior Olivia Budinich had 16 digs, leading the team in the category for the second straight match.
- Freshman Ella Ratzloff had 10 digs, and sophomore Annie Ell added nine of her own.
Stat of the Match
1 - This was the first time Rhode Island and Temple have faced each other since Oct. 21, 2012, when Temple was still a member of the Atlantic 10. The teams met 62 times between 1977 and 2012.
The Rams wrap up their weekend with a match against Hofstra Saturday at 2 p.m.