Aug 24, 2018
How it Happened
Rhode Island was swept in its season opener, falling to Loyola Marymount (25-18, 25-10, 25-19) in the first match of the Hilton Penn's Landing Temple Invitational.
The Rams (0-1) initially kept Loyola Marymount (1-0) within three points through the opening plays until the Lions went on a 7-0 run. A pair of service aces by Tess Reid ended the first set with the Lions up 25-18.
Loyola Marymount controlled the second set from the start and held the Rams to just 10 points throughout play. Rhody kept things closer in the third set, building a 7-5 lead. However, the Lions claimed the next five points and never looked back, finishing on top 25-19.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt sophomore Natale Zanellato earned the start in her debut with the Rams. She finished with a team-high seven kills.
- Sophomores Kelsey Montgomery and Claire Chaplinsky, as well as senior Mckenzie Kiesle, each recorded the first start of their respective careers against LMU.
- Junior Jenna McGuire registered five block assists and two kills.
- Senior Olivia Budinich had a team-high 12 digs.
- Freshmen Mariah Paulette and Ella Ratzloff also made their first career appearances for the Rams.
Stat of the Match
4 - Four players who had never previously started for Rhode Island earned the start in the season opener.
The Rams continue play at the Hilton Penn's Landing Temple Invitational tonight when they face the host Owls at 6 p.m.