How it Happened
Rhode Island (3-6) dropped its second straight match, falling 3-1 (25-20, 21-25, 25-21, 25-20) to Columbia in the finale of the Art Carmichael Invitational Saturday night.
Columbia (3-3) used a steady attack to control the tempo throughout the match. Anja Malesevic (17 kills), Jamie Dailey (16 kills) and Luciana Del Valle (14 kills) combined for 47 kills, seven more than Rhode Island's team total. The passing of setter Grace Campbell (41 assists) helped the Lions hit .256 or better in three of the four sets.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Marie Gillcrist led Rhode Island with 15 kills and added added seven block assists.
- Gillcrist represented the Rams on the Art Carmichael Invitational All-Tournament Team. Joining her on the team were Brigitte Burcescu (MVP), Gabrielle Tschannen and Natalie Shollin; Columbia's Luciana Del Valle and Jamie Dailey; and Nikki DeSerpa from Marist.
- Senior Kylee Wolfe had nine kills and four digs.
- Junior Lauren Pick had a double-double, finishing with 32 assists and 11 digs.
- After tying the match by winning the second set, Rhode Island scored the first point of the third set for a 1-0 lead. Columbia scored the next point, and then never trailed again in the third or fourth sets.
Stat of the Match
10 - Rhode Island was limited to 10 or fewer kills in three of the four sets.
Rhode Island heads to New Hampshire to compete in the Holly Young Invitational. The Rams will face Dartmouth Friday, Sept. 15 at 4:30 p.m. On Saturday, Sept. 16, Rhody will face New Hampshire (12:30 p.m.) and Siena (4:30 p.m.)