Setting the Scene
The Rhode Island tennis team posted a 4-3 win over Bryant on Wednesday afternoon. After playing a strictly off-campus schedule for the past two years, Rhody competed on its home courts for the first time since 2009 when it hosted the Bulldogs. The Rams - who had been unable to compete on campus due to the complete resurfacing of the URI Tennis Courts - had hosted just nine matches in South County over the last two seasons while playing over 30 matches away from the Kingston area.
Senior Kirsten Leikem teamed up with twin sister Tristany Leikem to post Rhody's lone doubles victory at No. 2 before clinching the match for the Rams with a 6-4, 6-4 win at second singles.
- No. 1 - Hidalgo/Bird (BRY) def. Emery/Uy; 8-6
- No. 2 - Leikem/Leikem (URI) def. Smyers/Brandao; 8-6
- No. 3 - Vickers/Ammendola (BRY) def. Asokaraj/Wojciak; 8-3
- No. 1 - Pam Emery (URI) def. Claudia Hidalgo; 6-2, 6-3
- No. 2 - Kirsten Leikem (URI) def. Lucy Bird; 6-4, 6-4
- No. 3 - Tristany Leikem (URI) def. Stephanie Smyers; 6-1, 6-4
- No. 4 - Kathleen Uy (URI) def. May Vickers; 6-4, 6-3
- No. 5 - Marcela Brandao (BRY) def. Michelle Dussol; 6-2, 6-3
- No. 6 - Devlin-Ann Ammendola (BRY) def. Nithila Asokaraj; 6-1, 6-1
- Order of Finish - 6, 3, 1, 5, 4, 2
The Rams are back in action this weekend when they travel to Long Island for the Stony Brook Invitational.