How It Happened
Rhode Island dropped a 4-0 decision at Harvard on Sunday at the Murr Center in Cambridge, Mass.
The Rams dropped the doubles point at the #1 and 2 positions before the #3 doubles match was halted at 4-3. In singles play, Mihaela Codreanu, Rachel Smilansky, and Paige Alshon fell in straight sets before the #3, 4, and 5 singles matches were ended in the second set.
1. Natasha Gonzalez/Irene Lu (HARV) def. Rachel Smilansky/Emily Zargham (URI) 6-1
2. June Lee/Sabrina Xiong (HARV) def. Mihaela Codreanu/Tiara Higuchi (URI) 6-0
3. Ariel Haber/Nicole Legler (URI) vs. Kaelli Thiel/Isabel Jasper (HARV) 4-3 (NR)
1. June Lee (HARV) def. Mihaela Codreanu (URI) 6-0, 6-0
2. Irene Lu (HARV) def. Rachel Smilansky (URI) 6-3, 6-0
3. Tiara Higuchi (URI) vs. Annika Ringblom (HARV) 6-4, 3-0 (NR)
4. Emily Zargham (URI) vs. Natasha Gonzalez (HARV) 6-3, 5-2 (NR)
5. Ariel Haber (URI) vs. Sabrina Xiong (HARV) 6-2, 4-2 (NR)
6. Angelina Ye (HARV) def. Paige Alshon (URI) 6-1, 6-3
"We had another valuable match to learn from. I thought we competed very well in singles 3 through 6. Harvard was dominant in the doubles and at the top two singles spots, so it was a very slim margin for you. We are showing visible improvement with every match and that will prepare us for the upcoming A-10 play."
- head coach Tim Murphy
Rhode Island heads to Boston College on Saturday, February 11. The match begins at 10 a.m.