Maine Black Bears vs. Rhode Island Rams
Tootell Aquatics Center - Kingston, R.I.
Rhode Island continued with their strong start to the season as they took down Maine in a dual meet to begin homecoming weekend by the score of 171.5-124.5.
Highlights From the Pool
- Junior Sydney Williams won the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:46.36. This was her first event since coming back from an injury she suffered at the beginning of last season.
- Junior Maria Smirnov took home first place in 1-meter diving with a score of 198.37. This was the first win for a Rhode Island diver in the 2016-17 season.
- Freshman Katy Evans took first in 3-meter diving with a score of 217.65 for her first collegiate win.
- Freshmen Caitlin Guccione and Emma Grace Pecha earned their first collegiate wins. Guccione won the 200-yard butterfly (2:11.12) while Pecha took first in the 500-yard freestyle (5:14.76).
- Senior Lauren Folkert kept with her winning ways, capturing the top spot in the 200-yard backstroke (2:08.08). She now has four solo victories, the most on the team.
- Senior Carly DeLiberty won the 200-yard backstroke, finishing with a time of 2:27.96 for her first solo victory of the season.
- The Rams took the second and third spots in the 200-yard medley relay. The second-place team, comprised of DeLiberty, Hannah Homans, Bridget Whalen and Eliza Anderson, finished with a time of 1:48.68. The third-place team of Nicole Liddy, Nicole Petta, Caitlyn Blake and Grace Kneller finished with a 1:50.33.
- Going into the meet, the two teams were tied, 8-8, in head-to-head meetings since 2000. The Rams took a lead, 9-8, with their victory.
- Rhode Island and Maine will meet again later in the season at the Harold Anderson Invitational on Nov. 18 and 19.
Words from Coach Mick Westkott
"We have very pleased. Maine came out in the medley relay and put a fire on us. I think we responded really well. We're making progress. It was a solid effort, and I'm pleased with the results."
Rhody will host their third-straight home meet on Saturday, Oct. 29, when the United States Coast Guard Academy and Springfield College come to Kingston for the Ed and Judy Golden Invitational. The meet is scheduled to start at 1 p.m.