How It Happened
Rhode Island (2-2) won for the second time in as many days as it split a pair of games on the second day of the Fairfield Inn & Suites Seahawk Softball Bash Saturday.
Game 1 – UNC Wilmington 8, Rhode Island 6
The Rams led 4-3 heading into the bottom of the fifth inning, but host UNC Wilmington (4-5) rallied for five runs to take an 8-4 lead. Run-scoring singles from Erica Robles and Sami Villarreal cut the deficit to 8-6 in the top of the sixth. Rhody got the potential tying run to the plate in the seventh inning, but the Rams were unable to complete the comeback.
Game 2 – Rhode Island 4, Radford 3
Sophomore Riley Kernan pitched her first career complete game to lead the Rams to the win. Adriana Toro hit a two-run double to key a three-run sixth inning, and Faith Musselwhite had an RBI double in the bottom of the sixth to break a 3-3 tie and give Rhody its winning margin.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Sami Villarreal had a big day at the plate, going 4-for-6 with a double, two runs scored and one run batted in.
- Freshman Faith Musselwhite had three hits on the day – a double and two singles.
- Villarreal, Musselwhite and fellow freshman Ari Castillo have all hit safely in each of the first for games of the season.
- Junior Caileigh Holland singled twice, walked once and scored three times.
- Junior Erica Robles hit a home run in the first game, Rhody's first long ball of the season. She had three RBI and two runs scored.
- Sophomore Riley Kernan allowed three runs on five hits over 7.0 innings against Radford. It was the second complete game for URI on the weekend.
Rhode Island closes out the weekend with a single game against UNC Wilmington on Sunday. First pitch is slated for 12:30 p.m.