How It Happened
Becca Rogers twirled a complete game and Caileigh Holland delivered the game-winning hit as Rhode Island knocked off in-state rival Bryant 2-1 Thursday afternoon.
Rhode Island (12-30) got on the board in the bottom of the first inning after loading the bases with one out. A fielder's choice grounder by Melanie Martire brought in Paige Julich for the first run of the day.
Bryant (12-27) evened the score with a run in the top of the third. Rhody retook the lead in the bottom of the fifth when Holland snuck a single through the right side, allowing pinch runner Brianna Heller to come around from second base with the go-ahead run.
Rogers handled things from there, retiring the final 11 batters in order to secure the victory for the Rams.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Becca Rogers (3-12) allowed just one hit and one walk while striking out nine batters in a dominant performance. It was her eighth complete game in 18 starts.
- Rogers moved into eighth place in program history in career strikeouts with 243, passing Jill Anderson (239 from 2005-08). Rogers also now has 107 strikeouts this year, the ninth highest single-season total in URI history. She is the first with 100 in one year since Sam Bedore had 122 in 2014.
- Senior Brianna Heller scored the game-winning run. It was the fourth time she has scored in 15 appearances as a pinch runner.
- Senior Paige Julich reached base three times in the leadoff spot. She singled, walked, was hit by a pitch and scored one run.
- Sophomore Erika Yeager and senior Rachel Kuhlman each had one double.
- Sophomore Caileigh Holland singled and had one run batted in. She now has a four-game hitting streak during which she is batting .500 (5-for-10).
- Freshman Hannah DeSousa singled and walked twice. Her on-base percentage is up to .406 for the season.
Rhode Island heads to St. Bonaventure for a three-game series that starts Saturday at noon with a doubleheader.