How It Happened
Rhode Island (11-27, 3-9 Atlantic 10) had its chances late in the game, but was unable to rally in the final game of its three-game series against Saint Joseph's, falling 4-2 Sunday.
Saint Joseph's (17-22, 4-10 A-10) got on the board in the top of the first. Molly Kapala was hit by a pitch to lead off the game, and she came around when Caela Abadie drilled a home run to center field.
Abadie padded the Hawk lead in the top of the third. Three straight singles loaded the bases with no outs. After a fly out, Abadie sent a long fly to center, bringing in Jancarla Herrera with a sacrifice fly to make the score 3-0.
Rhode Island finally broke through in the bottom of the fourth. Erika Yeager lined a double to the gap in right center. Hannah DeSousa followed with a double of her own to the same spot, bringing in pinch runner Brianna Heller to trim the deficit to 3-1. In the top of the fifth, Saint Joseph's picked up an unearned run to push the advantage back to three runs.
In the bottom of the sixth, Erica Robles hit a one-out double. Pinch runner Alex Pleasic moved to third on a groundout and then scored on a wild pitch to cut the lead in half, 4-2. The Rams got the potential tying runs on base in the bottom of the seventh after Adriana Toro drew a walk and Paige Julich was hit by a pitch. However, a fly out and pop up ended the threat and secured the series sweep for Saint Joseph's.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Hannah DeSousa doubled, walked and drove in one run.
- Sophomore Erica Robles doubled and walked.
- Junior Adriana Toro singled and walked twice.
- Sophomore Erika Yeager doubled.
- Senior Bri Castro singled.
- Freshman Olivia Daniel appeared as a pinch hitter and singled.
- Sophomore Caileigh Holland singled. Holland also made a spectacular diving catch to rob Taylor Marinelli of a hit in the sixth.
- Senior Brianna Heller and sophomore Alex Pleasic both appeared as pinch runners and scored.
Rhode Island travels to Massachusetts for an Atlantic 10 doubleheader Tuesday afternoon. First pitch is slated for 12 p.m.