How it Happened
Rhode Island (11-33, 8-15 Atlantic 10) led heading into the final inning, but George Washington rallied with two runs in the bottom of the seventh for the walk-off victory.
Ali Summers doubled down the left field line on the first pitch of the game. She came around to score when Kylie Shivery delivered a two-out single through the left side to give the Rams an early 1-0 lead.
The Colonials George Washington (28-24, 11-12 A-10) came back with a run of their own in the bottom of the first. Megan Linn led off with a double and scored when Jenna Cone followed with a single. George Washington took a 2-1 lead when Elena Shelepak singled to drive in Priscilla Martinez.
In the top of the third, Jenna Cubello drew a one-out walk and advanced when Shivery reached on an error. Erika Yeager followed with a fielder's choice grounder that forced Shivery out at second. However, Cubello capitalized on a momentary lapse by the GW infield and scored when the ball was held at second base, sliding in ahead of the throw home.
George Washington jumped back in front with a three-run fourth, but Rhody responded with a rally of its own in the top of the fifth. Summers walked to start the rally, and Marylynn Muldowney reached on an error. A fielder's choice allowed Cubello to reach. Shivery singled up the middle to drive in Muldowney. Yeager followed with a long double to left center to bring in Cubello and Shivery and tie the game, 5-5. Danielle Gariglio chopped a ball in front of the plate that was mishandled by the defense, allowing pinch runner Rebecca Simms to score from third, giving Rhody a 6-5 lead.
The Colonials put the potential go-ahead runs on base when Cone and Martinez opened the frame with back-to-back singles. A sacrifice bunt put both runners in scoring position. Pitcher Julia Waraksy got a big out when she fielded a comebacker to the circle and looked the runners back before recording the out at first. Bri Castro took care of a grounder to second to end the threat.
Gabby Gallone walked to lead off the seventh for George Washington, again putting the tying run on base. Gallone moved to second on a sacrifice bunt. Jessica Linquist was hit by a pitch to put the potential winning run on first base, and an error loaded the bases for Cone with one out. Cone hit a flare to right field to drive in Gallone and tie the game. Castro fielded a one hopper and threw home for the second out of the inning. Paige Kovalsky lofted a single to right field to bring in Linquist for the walk-off victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Kylie Shivery singled twice, drove in two runs and scored once.
- With the two RBI, Shivery reached 31 for the season, joining Kellie Cookus (1996-98) as the only Rhode Island players to have 30 or more RBI in multiple seasons. She also passed Gwen Rack (1999-2002) for fourth place in program history with 83 for her career.
- Senior Ali Summers doubled, walked and scored one run.
- Senior Jenna Cubello walked twice and scored two runs.
- Senior Danielle Gariglio singled and junior Rachel Kuhlman each singled once.
- Freshman Erika Yeager doubled and drove in three runs. She finished the season batting .301, becoming just the third freshman in program history to bat .300 for the year.
- Senior Marylynn Muldowney scored one run.
Stat of the Game
8 – Rhode Island finished the season with eight conference victories, matching its most in league play in 15 seasons, dating back to 2002. That season, the Rams won 13 A-10 games.