How it Happened
Rhode Island (10-31, 7-13 Atlantic 10) sent its senior class out with a victory in the final home game of the season, as the Rams knocked off St. Bonaventure 7-3 Sunday afternoon.
The Rams jumped out to a 5-0 lead, scoring three times in the bottom of the first and two more in the bottom of the third. Kylie Shivery's two-run double and Erika Yeager's RBI single keyed the first inning. In the third, Bri Castro's bases-loaded single provided two more runs to create the five-run cushion.
St. Bonaventure (12-35, 2-16 A-10) got a solo home run from Desiree Gonzalez to lead off the top of the fourth, and added a pair of runs in the fifth inning to close the gap to 5-3. However, Rhody responded with two runs of its own, thanks to RBI singles from Marylynn Muldowney and Caileigh Holland to cap the scoring.
Inside the Box Scores
- Following the game, seniors Marylynn Muldowney, Ali Summers, Danielle Gariglio, Andrea Chiaradio and Jenna Cubello were honored. Sunday was the final home game of their career.
- Senior Jenna Cubello had three hits and one run scored to lead the offense.
- Junior Bri Castro and freshman Erika Yeager each had two hits. Castro also knocked in two runs, while Yeager had one RBI and one run scored.
- Junior Kylie Shivery doubled, scored one run and drove in two. It was the third consecutive game in which she has driven in two runs.
- Senior Marylynn Muldowney singled and scored one run.
- Junior Paige Julich singled, walked and scored two runs.
- Freshman Caleigh Holland singled, scored one run and drove in one run.
- Freshman Sarah Gunderson (5-12) won for the third time in as many starts.
- Sophomore Julia Waraksy pitched 3.0 innings of scoreless relief to earn her first career save.
Stat of the Day
4 – The victory was Rhode Island's fourth in the last five games.
Rhode Island closes out the regular season with a three-game series at George Washington, starting with a doubleheader Saturday, May 6.