HOW IT HAPPENED
George Washington scored three times in the top of the seventh to win the rubber game of the series, as the Colonials came from behind to beat Rhode Island 6-3 Sunday afternoon.
With the score tied 3-3 in the top of the seventh, George Washington (20-20, 8-6 A-10) used a walk, two hits and an error to score three times in the top of the seventh. Carlee Gray drilled a two-run double to break the tie, and Rochelle Draper added a double of her own to make it 6-3.
In the bottom of the seventh, Rhode Island (12-22, 3-9 A-10) got the potential tying run to the plate after Jenna Cubello and Kylie Shivery drew back-to-back walks to start the inning. However, two fouls outs and a groundout ended the game without any scoring for the Rams
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Sophomore Kylie Shivery doubled, singled, walked, drove in one run and scored one run.
- Sophomore Paige Julich doubled and scored one run.
- Senior Taylor Archer doubled and had a sacrifice bunt.
- Junior Jenna Cubello singled, walked and scored one run.
- Junior Ali Summers walked twice.
- Junior Andrea Chiaradio gave Rhode Island another strong start, pitching four scoreless innings. She scattered four hits and one walk while in the circle.
STAT OF THE GAME
23 - Over the course of the doubleheader, Rhode Island stranded 23 runners in 14 innings. In the second game, the Rams were 0-for-11 with runners in scoring position.
Rhode Island is off until Thursday, April 21 when it hosts Central Connecticut State in a non-conference doubleheader. First pitch is set for 3 p.m.