How it Happened
Rhode Island's Becca Rogers outdueled George Washington's Sarah Costlow as the Rams notched a 1-0 win in Atlantic 10 action Saturday.
Both pitchers pitched two-hitters, but Rogers (9-5) was able to keep George Washington off the boards as she recorded her second career complete-game shutout. Both singles allowed by Rogers were of the infield variety, one on a bad-hop grounder to third and the other a grounder up the middle just off the shortstop's glove.
Rhody (12-20, 3-7 A-10) got the only run of the day in the bottom of the second inning. Kylie Shivery drew a leadoff walk and moved to second when Lauren Klepchick walked with two outs. Danielle Gariglio delivered a single up the middle to drive in Shivery.
George Washington (18-20, 6-6 A-10) got the potential tying run on via a leadoff walk, but Rogers got the next three batters to end the game.
Inside the Box Score:
- Becca Rogers pitched her sixth complete game of the season and had five strikeouts with one walk. She now has 62 strikeouts in 90.0 inning of work.
- Only one leadoff batter reached base against Rogers. That came in the top of the seventh when Alana Anderson walked.
- Kylie Shivery has scored one run in each of the last three games.
- Danielle Gariglio and Paige Julich had the two hits for Rhode Island. Julich also drew a walk.
- George Washington starter Sarah Costlow went the distance, striking out five and walking three.
- Catcher Ali Summers had seven putouts for the Rams, including two on foul pop outs in the final inning.
Stat of the Game
3 – Becca Rogers has been a part of three shutouts so far this season, tossing two complete shutouts and combining with Caitlin Kennedy on another. It is the most shutouts a Rhody pitcher has been a part of in one season since Jenna Thurston hurled four in 2004.
Rhode Island and George Washington will play a doubleheader on Sunday, with the first game starting at 11 a.m.