How it Happened
Rhode Island kept it close, but it was never able to overcome an early deficit as the Rams lost 7-2 at Massachusetts in the first game of Wednesday's doubleheader.
After Jena Coza put UMass ahead 2-0 with her two-run home run in the bottom of the first, Rhode Island (11-17, 2-6 Atlantic 10) got a run back in the top of the third. Danielle Gariglio and Marylynn Muldowney started the inning with back-to-back singles. Gariglio moved to third on a fielder's choice and then came in when Paige Julich delivered a sacrifice fly.
Massachusetts (11-20, 5-4 A-10) pushed two more across the plate in the bottom of the third to make it 4-1. Rhody again responded with a single run in the top of the fourth when Muldowney drove in Madi Housel. That was as close as the Rams got the rest of the way before falling for the third straight game and fourth time in five outings.
Inside the Box Score:
- Marylynn Muldowney singled twice and drove in one run.
- Danielle Gariglio singled and scored one run.
- Paige Julich singled and drove in one run with a sacrifice fly.
- Madi Housel walked and scored one run.
- Kylie Shivery and Jenna Cubello each singled once.
- Ali Summers reached once via a walk.
Stat of the Game
11 – Rhode Island allowed 11 UMass batters to reach via a walk. Of those 11, five came around to score.
Rhode Island returns to the URI Softball Complex for a non-conference doubleheader against UMass Lowell Thursday at 3 p.m.