How it Happened
Rhode Island (11-16, 2-5 Atlantic 10) fell 9-1 in five innings Sunday afternoon to drop the rubber game of a three-game series.
Saint Louis (14-21, 6-5 A-10) got the first run of the game when Hailey Weavers hit a solo shot to left field with two outs.
Rhode Island tied the score in the top of the fourth. Jenna Cubello singled to lead the inning off and moved to third on a single to right center by Kylie Shivery. Lauren Klepchick lofted a fly ball to right field, bringing in Cubello with a sacrifice fly.
Saint Louis got an unearned run in the bottom of the fourth. With two out and two runners in scoring position, Alex Nickel reached on an error, allowing Brittany Durant to score the go-ahead run. The Billikens ended the game with a seven-run rally in the bottom of the fifth, capped by a two-run home run by Nickel to end the game.
Inside the Box Score:
- Jenna Cubello singled twice and scored one run.
- The run for Cubello was the 50th she has scored in her career.
- Olivia Hendricks singled twice. She has seven hits in her last 14 at bats.
- Lauren Klepchick walked and drove in one run with a sacrifice fly.
- Paige Julich and Kylie Shivery each singled once.
- Ali Summers was hit by a pitch to lead off the game.
- Marylynn Muldowney walked.
Stat of the Game
2 – Rhode Island hit into double plays in each of the first two innings. The Rams had hit into just six in the first 26 games of the season.
Rhode Island sticks with conference play when it travels to Massachusetts for a doubleheader Tuesday. First pitch is at 3 p.m.