How it Happened
Rhode Island (3-5) could not overcome an early deficit, falling 13-5 in five innings to Buffalo at the Hampton Lady Pirates Classic Saturday afternoon.
Buffalo (2-9) got off to a fast start, scoring twice in the top of the first. Ashton Earnhardt led the game off with a walk, and after one out, Savanna Norcio hit a home run to centerfield. The Bulls added two more in the frame for an early 4-0 lead.
The Rams got one run back in the bottom of the first when Kylie Shivery drove in Paige Julich with a single. Rhody loaded the bases with one out, but was unable to get any more runs on the board.
Though the Rams scored at least once in each of the first four innings, Buffalo continued to build its lead throughout. The Bulls scored twice in the second, five times in the third and twice in the fifth, preventing Rhody from closing the gap.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Taylor Archer hit her first home run of the season, a solo shot in the third inning. She also walked.
- Sophomore Paige Julich's doubled in the first inning to stretch her hitting streak to 10 games. She later added her second triple of the season and drove in two runs. She raised her batting average to .367.
- Junior Danielle Gariglio tripled, walked and scored two runs.
- Sophomore Kylie Shivery delivered her team-leading ninth run batted in with a single in the first inning.
- Junior Jenna Cubello singled, scored and drove in one run.
- Senior Emily Hendricks singled once and has now hit safely in three straight games.
- Rhode Island had a tough day in the field, committing four errors.
Stat of the Day
7 – Rhode Island has hit seven triples this season. The Rams hit six during the entire 2015 season.
Rhode Island closes out play at the Hampton Lady Pirates Classic with a rematch against Hampton this afternoon at 3 p.m.