How it Happened
Rhode Island used a nine-run outburst in the second inning to establish a big lead early and get its third straight win, a 9-3 decision over Hampton Friday afternoon at the Lady Pirates Classic. The game was called due to darkness after the fifth inning.
In just the seventh game of the season, the Rams (3-4) already have matched their win total from last season.
Sophomore Madi Housel got the big rally started with a two-run home run, the first long ball of her career. A walk, single and error loaded the bases for sophomore Paige Julich, who launched a grand slam to left field, putting Rhody up 6-0.
Rhody didn't stop there, as Ali Summers singled. She eventually scored when Lauren Klepchick reached on an error. Emily Hendricks drove in Klepchick with a two-out double, and Housel capped the inning with an RBI single to make it 9-0.
Hampton (4-2) scored twice in the bottom of the third and once more in the fifth and final inning, but never truly threatened Rhode Island's lead.
Inside the Box Score:
- Sophomore Madi Housel had her first career multi-hit game with a home run, single and three runs batted in. She is batting .364 on the young season.
- Sophomore Paige Julich's second career home run extended her hitting streak to nine games, dating back to last year. She is hitting .316 and has five RBI in six games this season.
- Senior Emily Hendricks doubled, scored one and drove in one run.
- Senior Lauren Klepchick singled, drove in one run and scored twice.
- Junior Danielle Gariglio singled and scored for the second straight game.
- Junior Marylynn Muldowney walked twice and scored one run.
- Senior Caitlin Kennedy (1-1) was credited with her first victory of the season. Kennedy picked up a victory and a save in the two games Friday.
- Kennedy has yet to allow an extra base hit in 16.1 innings of work this year. She has seven strikeouts while allowing five walks thus far.
- Freshman Julia Waraksy pitched well in relief, allowing just run in 3.1 innings.
Stat of the Day
3 – Besides already matching last season's win total with its third victory, Rhode Island also won its third straight game for the first time since the 2012 season, when it beat Harvard on April 10 and then swept Brown in a doubleheader the next day. The Rams played 162 games between three-game win streaks.
Rhode Island plays two more games at the Hampton Lady Pirates Classic Saturday. The Rams play Buffalo at 11 a.m. and then go against Hampton for the second straight day at 3 p.m.