Rams Drop Opener, Tie Second Game With Hawks
Setting the Scene
Rhode Island (18-27-1, 2-9-1 Atlantic 10) dropped one game to Saint Joseph's Sunday, 11-1, in six innings, and then tied the second game, 3-3. The latter game was called after five innings due to rain.
How It Happened
What was a pitcher's duel through four innings in the opener turned into a romp for St. Joe's (17-24-1, 6-7-1 A-10), thanks to an eight-run rally in the top of the fifth inning. After being held scoreless on one hit through four innings, the Hawks scored eight times on seven hits, two walks, a hit batsman and a pair of URI errors.
With the rain starting to come down early in the second game, Rhode Island held a 3-1 lead after three innings. The Rams scored its first run on a wild pitch, then got an RBI double from Kelly Coker and a run-scoring single from Courtney Prendergast. However, the Hawks came back with two in the top of the fourth to tie the score. Despite chances for both teams, neither side scored again before the game was halted after the fifth inning due to the rain.
* Freshman Meg Kelly had two singles, one walk and one run scored on the day. She also made a diving stop defensively to rob St. Joe's Morgan Earling of a hit in the opener.
* Senior Courtney Prendergast singled three times, walked once and drove in one run. She raised her batting average to .385 for the season.
* Senior Nicole Massoni matched Prendergast's day, getting three singles and walking once. Massoni now has an on-base percentage of .473 and has reached base safely 61 times in 38 games.
* Sophomore Melissa Parente appeared as a pinch runner and scored Rhode Island's lone run in the first game.
* Junior Kelly Coker doubled, drove in one run and scored one run in the second game.
* Sophomore Jocelyn Mattison singled and drove in the Rams' lone run in the opener.
Stat of the Day
Senior Courtney Prendergast had three hits on the day, bringing her season total to an even 50. No Rams reached 40 last year. Prendergast, Nicole Massoni (43), Brittany Julich (43) and Kelly Coker (41) have all topped 40 this season.
Strike Out Cancer
The team's first Pink Out game was a success, despite the weather. Organized by sophomore Fallon Scorpio, URI's Strike Out Cancer fundraiser made $796 Sunday, thanks to donations and the sale of T-shirts and raffle tickets.
Rhode Island plays a doubleheader at Massachusetts (3 p.m.) Tuesday.
- 04/15/14: Visit to UConn Canceled Due to Rain
- 04/12/14: Rhody Swept in Battle of the Rams
- 04/11/14: VIDEO: "Thank You, You Really...
- 04/10/14: Rhody Falls to Harvard, 5-1
- 04/09/14: Rams to Host Crimson Thursday,...
- 04/08/14: Doubleheader Against Harvard Washed...
- 04/07/14: #SAOTW: Lou Distasio and Jocelyn...
- 04/07/14: Bedore Named Atlantic 10 Co-Pitcher...
- 04/05/14: Rams Pick Up Pair of Wins With...
- 04/02/14: Rams Fall to Friars, 3-1
- 04/01/14: Rams Get Rematch With Providence...
- 03/29/14: Bedore, Rams Earn Split at Saint...
- 03/27/14: Rhody Blanked at Providence, 5-0
- 03/27/14: Rams Heading to Providence Today,...
- 03/25/14: Rams, River Hawks Split Doubleheade...
- 03/24/14: Rhody, River Hawks to Meet for...
- 03/24/14: #SAOTW: Sam Bedore and Lou Distasio...
- 03/24/14: Rhode Island-UMass Lowell Doublehea...
- 03/22/14: Bedore Notches 300th Strikeout,...
- 03/21/14: Dayton Holds Off Rhody in A-10...
Audio: RIU2 Stream
Audio: RIU2 Stream