|Education:||B.A., UMass-Lowell '88|
The 2012-13 season marks head coach Shelagh Donohoe's seventh
year with the Rhode Island rowing program.
Donohoe coached the Rams to the first NCAA Championship appearance in program history in 2013. Rhody earned an automatic bid to the 22-team field after winning its second straight Atlantic 10 title. It was the fourth conference title in six seasons for the Rams.
The 2012-13 Rams earned several indivudal accolades. Sophomore
Kate Capistran was a CRCA Second-Team All-American and a First-Team
All-Region honoree. Four women were named to the A-10
All-Conference Team, as seniors Anne Mulholland, Lotte Sherman and
Alice Murray garnered first-team honors. Senior Ari Wakeman was a
second-team selection. Junior Chelsea Paulin and sophomore Hannah
Milam earned A-10 Academic All-Conference honors.
In 2012, the Rams won their third Atlantic 10 title in five seasons. Donohoe coached four players to the 2012 Atlantic 10 All-Conference Team. Caitlin Dowd, Lindsay Stephenson and freshman Kari Tomeny were named the first team, while Megan O'Brien was a second-team selection. It was the second straight season on the all-conference team for O'Brien. All four women were members of the Varsity 8 boat. Tomeny also was one of 12 rowers named to the CRCA All-New England First-Team.
Donohoe also placed three team members on the 2012 A-10 All-Academic Team. O'Brien made the team for the second year in a row, while Zoe Gentes and Kelley Woodacre also made the 10-person team.
Following the successful spring season, Donohoe brought team members to England to compete in the Women's Henley Regatta in June of 2012. It was the first time a Rhode Island team has competed at Henley in the 25-year history of the event.
In 2010, Donohoe guided the Rams to their second Atlantic 10 Championship in three years. In addition, to the Rams' team championship, Donohoe was named Coach of the Year for the third time in her career. Following the Rams' 2010 Atlantic 10 Championship, Rhode Island earned a No. 6 ranking in the New England region, which marked the first time in school history URI had been ranked in the New England region. Donohoe believes that success in the A-10 is a stepping stone in the journey to national success.
Prior to coaching at URI, Donohoe spent 10 successful years coaching at Northeastern University. She was part of the coaching staff which saw the Huskies earn invites to four NCAA Championships.
Named New England Assistant Coach of the Year in 2004, she has previously served as an assistant at both Boston University and Harvard. In addition, she coached the U.S. Junior Women's National Team in 1994, where the team rowed at the Junior World Championships in Munich, Germany.
Donohoe has an extensive rowing history of her own. A member of the U.S. National Rowing team from 1989-92, she competed in three World Championships (1989 in Bled, Yugoslavia; 1990 in Tasmania, Australia; and 1991 in Vienna, Austria) and the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona, Spain.
At the 1992 Olympics, she earned a silver medal as a member of the USA's four-without team. She also won silver medals at the 1990 (women's eight) 1991 (women's four without) World Championships.
A 1988 graduate of University of Massachusetts-Lowell with a degree in business administration, Donohoe was the first member of the rowing team inducted into the UMass Lowell Athletics Hall of Fame in 1993.
DONOHOE'S COACHING HIGHLIGHTS
- Coached Rhody to the program's first NCAA
Championship appearance in 2013.
- Directed Rhody to the Atlantic 10 championship in 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2013.
- Selected as the Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year in 2007, 2008 and 2010.
- Coached 32 All-Atlantic 10 First Team and six All-Atlantic 10 Second Team student-athletes.
- Coached Kate Capistran to CRCA All-American honors in 2013.
- Guided six of her student-athletes to CRCA All-New England Region honors.
- In the classroom, 29 of her student-athletes have received National Scholar-Athlete recognition.
- Since the fall of 2006, the team has achieved a grade point average of 3.0 or above.
- 09/07/13: Rams Dedicate Boats to The Rev....
- 08/01/13: Rowing Team to Hold Meetings for...
- 07/26/13: Hetzell Returns to Rowing Staff
- 07/25/13: Construction on the Ryan Family...
- 06/11/13: Capistran Named CRCA All-American
- 06/02/13: Rhody Finishes 21st in Country at...
- 06/01/13: Varsity 8+ Boat Reaches NCAA Lower...
- 05/31/13: Rams Make Debut at NCAA Rowing...
- 05/31/13: UPDATE: Friday Start Times Changed...
- 05/29/13: Paulin, Milam Named to Atlantic 10...
- 05/20/13: Rams to be Featured on NCAA.com...
- 05/11/13: Rhody Swept at No. 9 Yale
- 05/09/13: Rams Head to No. 9 Yale Saturday
- 05/06/13: Mulholland, Sherman, Murray and...
- 05/04/13: CHAMPIONS! Rhody Defends A-10...
- 05/04/13: Rams Look to Defend A-10 Title...
- 04/27/13: Rhody V8 Edged by BU, Beats BC and...
- 04/27/13: Rams Ready to Take On Boston...
- 04/21/13: Rams Finish Competition at Clemson...
- 04/20/13: Varsity 4+ Leads Rhody Contingent...