Rhody Finishes 21st in Country at NCAA Championshp
President's Reception Photos - 6/1
SETTING THE SCENE
Rhode Island finished 21st overall in its first-ever appearance at the NCAA Rowing Championship. The Rams were led by their Second Varsity 8+ boat, which placed 20th in its flight. The Varsity 8+ boat and the Varsity 4+ boat finished 21st on their respective flights.
Ohio State won the 2013 national championship with 126 points, just ahead of California (124). Roudning out the top five were Princeton (112), Southern California (110) and Virginia (108) The Buckeyes nearly swept all three flights, winning the Second Varsity 8+ and Varsity 4+ titles and placing third in the Varsity 8+ field. It was the first national title won by a women's team at Ohio State.
|FINAL TEAM STANDINGS|
Rhode Island's top boat placed third out of four teams in the Eights Lower Final to finish 21st overall in the Varsity 8+ standings. The team of Anne Mulholland, Ari Wakeman, Kari Tomeny, Lindsay Stephenson, Marisa Landry, Lotte Sherman, Kate Capistran, Alice Murray and cox Kris Hudak defeated Marist by more than 16 seconds in its final race of the year.
California edged Princeton to win the national championship in the Varsity 8+ flight. Ohio State, which won the overall team title, placed third, followed by Virginia and Washington to round out the top five.
|FINAL STANDINGS - VARSITY 8+|
SECOND VARSITY 8+
Rhode Island's Second Varsity 8+ boat placed second out of four teams in the II Eights Lower Final to finish 20th overall in the Second Varsity 8+ standings. The team of Anne Edwards, Alyssa Goley, Quinn Snyder, Chloe Beach, Celine Gill, Meghan Sickinger, Siobhan Norton, Sophia Labeko and cox Chelsea Paulin defeated Navy and Marist in its final race of the year.
In one of the more exciting races of the day, Ohio State held off a tight pack to win the Second Varsity 8+ national title. The six boats all finished within six seconds of each other. California finished second, followed by in-state rival Brown, Southern California, Yale and Princeton.
|FINAL STANDINGS - SECOND VARSITY 8+|
Rhode Island's Varsity 4+ boat stayed with Navy and Boston University throughout the Fours Lower Final, but was unable to overtake either boat. The team of Kaitlyn Rupert, Lauren Carter, Jess Bergen, Hannah Milam and cox Avery Cohen placed third out of four boats in the heat and placed 21st in the overall team standings.
Ohio State won the Varsity 4+ national title, beating Southern California by nearly three seconds. Washington edged Virgnia for third place in the flight, and in-state rival Brown took fifth place.
|FINAL STANDINGS - VARSITY 4+|
- 07/26/14: Donohoe Coaching U.S. ParaRowing...
- 06/18/14: Paulin Earns Prestigious Atlantic...
- 05/29/14: Paulin, Capistran Named to 2014...
- 05/29/14: Six Rams Recognized as CRCA Scholar...
- 05/29/14: Capistran Named to 2014 CRCA...
- 05/04/14: Stephenson, Capistran, Paulin and...
- 05/04/14: Rams Place Second at Atlantic 10...
- 05/04/14: Mental Toughness Key Ingredient to...
- 05/01/14: Rowing Team Aiming for Third...
- 04/26/14: Rhody Places Third at Dale England...
- 04/25/14: Rams Sweep Alabama on Day One of...
- 04/25/14: Rams to Compete in Indiana's Dale...
- 04/12/14: Rhody Wins Three of Four Races at...
- 04/11/14: VIDEO: "Thank You, You Really...
- 04/11/14: Rams to Row on Raritan River for...
- 04/05/14: Varsity 8+ Edged by Boston...
- 04/04/14: Rams Set for Two Sets of Races on...
- 03/31/14: #SAOTW: Davidson, Second V8+ Rowers...
- 03/29/14: Rams Win Eighth Straight Resolute...
- 03/28/14: Rams Open Season by Hosting Boston...