Rhode Island Starters
Colome, Ross, Moffitt, Vargas, Jorgensen
Robinson, Pashigoreva, Archie, Reed, Williams
How it Happened
Rhode Island couldn't stop a dominant VCU offense as Rhody fell 74-39 Sunday afternoon.
Rhody (7-10, 2-3 A-10) struggled in the first half, shooting just 19.0 from the field (4-of-21) with points from Elemy Colome (4), Nicole Jorgensen (2), and Laura Perez (2). VCU (13-5, 5-0 A-10) held a 38-12 advantage going into the break.
The Rams of VCU continued to hold their lead for the rest of play. Despite shooting 1-of-4 in the first half, Nicole Jorgensen went 5-of-6 in the second half, with 10 of her points coming in the fourth quarter. However it wasn't enough for Rhode Island as VCU cruised to the victory and remain undefeated in Atlantic 10 play.
Inside the Boxscore
- Junior Nicole Jorgensen was the only Ram to score in double figures with 14. She added eight rebounds and three steals.
- Senior Dina Motrechuk had three rebounds and two blocks. She is now tied with Barbara Walton (1976-79) for fourth all-time with 122 career blocks.
- Redshirt junior Elemy Colome had nine points om 3-of-5 from the floor.
- Rhode Island committed 14 turnovers in the first half of play. They established some control in the second, committing just six.
- VCU scored 25 points off Rhody's miscues.
- VCU's bench outscored URI's 42-6.
- Rhody was 28.9% from the floor (13-of-45). The Rams were 0-for-13 from beyond the arc.
The Rams return home to the Ryan Center on Thursday, Jan. 24 to host the Rams of Fordham. Tip time is set for 7:00 p.m.