Jan 08, 2019
RHODE ISLAND VS. GEORGE WASHINGTON - SERIES NOTES
- Wednesday's game will be the 49th meeting all-time between the two schools.
- George Washington holds a 42-6 advantage and has won eight of the last 10 contests.
- The last Rhody win came on Jan. 12, 2010 in a 59-51 victory at the Ryan Center.
- GW beat Rhode Island 65-52 last time out in Washington, D.C.
- The Rams are coming off a 66-60 road victory at Richmond, snapping a five-game losing streak dating back to the beginning of December.
- Rhody will be hosting the reigning Atlantic 10 Champions. The Colonials fell to Ohio State in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament a year ago.
- Mei-Lyn Bautista leads GW with 9.6 points per game.
JORGENSEN NAMED ATLANTIC 10 PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Rhode Island junior Nicole Jorgensen was named the Atlantic 10 Player of the Week, the league announced Monday.
- This is the first Player of the Week nod for the Quincy, Mass. native. She was named Rookie of the Week in back-to-back weeks - Feb. 20 and Feb. 27 - during her freshman year.
- Jorgensen had a game high 26 points in the Rams' 66-60 win on the road at Richmond.
- She shot 9-of-11 from the field and a perfect 8-of-8 from the free-throw line in Rhody's conference-opening comeback victory.
- Her performance in the second half was a key component in Rhode Island's climb back. After being down by as many as 15 points in the first half of play, Jorgensen used 14 points and five rebounds in 17 minutes to lead Rhody to its first league-opening victory since the 2009-10 season when they defeated Massachusetts 58-57 in Amherst.
- Jorgensen is the second Ram to earn the accolade this season as teammate Davida Dale was named A-10 Player of the Week on Dec. 3.
COLOME, DALE COMBINING FOR SUCCESS
- Rhode Island redshirt junior Elemy Colome is tied with classmate Davida Dale for the leading scorer for the Rams, averaging 13.6 points per game.
- The two were a significant contribution to the Rams' non-conference success, including consecutive road wins at Robert Morris and Vermont for the first time since early in the 2016-17 season.
- Colome was named to the Atlantic 10 weekly honor roll for her efforts, which included scoring 10 of the Ram's 12 points down the stretch to seal the victory at Robert Morris.
- Dale earned the conference Player of the Week after leading the Rams to their first-ever Ocean State Tip-Off Tournament Championship.
JORGENSEN APPROACHING 500 CAREER REBOUNDS
- Rhode Island junior Nicole Jorgensen has 449 career rebounds, just 51 boards away from 500 on her career.
- She needs 164 rebounds to crack the Rhody Top 10.
- As a sophomore, the Quincy, Mass. native had 204 rebounds. She has 95 through 13 games this season.
- Jorgensen leads the Rams and is fifth in the Atlantic 10 averaging 7.3 boards per game.