Rhode Island (3-26, 1-15 A-10) at Fordham (21-8, 12-4 A-10)
First Round of the Atlantic 10 Tournament
Tuesday, Feb. 27 - 7:00 p.m.
Rose Hill Gym - Bronx, N.Y.
Live Stats | Live Stream | Twitter | Facebook
RHODE ISLAND VS. FORDHAM - SERIES NOTES
- Tuesday will be the 37th meeting between Rhode Island and Fordham, and the second meeting this season.
- Rhody holds a 19-17 advantage in the all-time series.
- In the first meeting this year, sophomore Nicole Jorgensen went a program best 17-of-22 from the field for a career-high 35 points.
- Fordham's G'mrice Davis led the Rams of the Bronx with 22 points and 15 rebounds in that meeting to go with two blocks, two assists, and one steal. Bre Cavanaugh added 20 points and seven steals.
- Fordham fell to Saint Joseph's 52-50 on Feb. 24 to secure the No. 3 seed heading into the Atlantic 10 Tournament.
- Davis leads the Rams with 16.9 points per game to go with 13.6 boards per game.
FIRST ROUND OF A-10 TOURNAMENT HELD ON CAMPUS SITES
- The 2017-18 regular season has came to a close on Saturday but seeds 3-14 have three days to prepare for the Atlantic 10 Championship, which under the new format has higher seeds hosting first-round contests at their respective campuses.
- Fordham sits as the No. 3 seed, hosting No. 14 Rhode Island on Tuesday night at 7 p.m. with the winner advancing to Richmond and the quarterfinals.
LAST TIME OUT - RHODE ISLAND FALLS TO MASSACHUSETTS 87-50 IN REGULAR SEASON FINALE
- Rhode Island closed out the regular season with a 87-50 loss at Massachusetts on Feb. 24.
- The Minutewomen had a 7-0 start before Abby Streeter hit a 3-pointer to get the Rams on the board at the 7:04 mark.
- Rhode Island trailed 25-16 at the end of the first quarter after a 3-pointer by Massachusetts' Genesis Rivera.
- After going 28.6 percent from the field in the first, Rhode Island shot an improved 50.0 percent from the floor in the second quarter. That would be their best quarter performance of the afternoon.
- Rhody cut the UMass lead to 10 (37-27) after scoring nine points, including four from Dina Motrechuk with 6:23 remaining in the period.
- Hailey Leidel answered with five points of her own to push the Massachusetts lead to 42-27 with 3:58 on the clock.
- The Massachusetts advantage extended to 16 after Maggie Mulligan made 1-of-2 at the charity stripe before time expired of the period.
- The Rams went into the break down 49-32. Massachusetts outscored Rhode Island 21-13 in the third quarter to go up 70-45.
- In the fourth, the Minutewomen held the Rams without a field goal until Marta Vargas broke through with a jumper at 2:04 (83-47).
- Maia Moffitt hit a 3-pointer on the next possession, making the score 83-50 with 1:38 remaining to play.
- The Rams took the eventual loss as time expired, falling to 3-26 on the season.
- Freshman Marta Vargas was the lone Ram to score in double digits, adding 10 to go along with three rebounds and two assists.
- Freshman Maia Moffitt had a career-high five steals.
- Massachusetts held sophomore Nicole Jorgensen - Rhode Island's leading scorer - to just eight points. She was averaging 15.3 points per game.
- Massachusetts' Hailey Leidel had a game-high 25 points.
- Rhode Island committed 18 turnovers. The Minutewomen scored 19 points off of those miscues.
- Massachusetts had a 44-12 advantage in points scored in the paint.