Rhode Island Starters
Ross, Moffitt, Vargas, Streeter, Jorgensen
St. Bonaventure Starters
Ruff, Migliore, Jerry, Calabrese, Harvey
How it Happened
A late-game spurt was not enough for the Rams as they dropped their sixth conference game at St. Bonaventure on Wednesday.
The first period of play was back and forth for both teams, as Rhode Island (2-17, 0-6 A-10) entered the second down just four points (21-17). However a quick 6-0 start for St. Bonaventure (7-12, 2-4 A-10) set the pace for the period. Rhode Island could not get a basket until 5:16 when a Jalissa Ross jumper got Rhody on the board. But it wasn't enough to get the Rams rolling as the Bonnies went into the break up 41-25.
St. Bonaventure held URI's leading scorer Nicole Jorgensen without a field goal until 2:49 left in the third quarter. The Rams went on a 19-11 run to cut the deficit to 11 points in the fourth - backed by 12 points from Jorgensen - with 39 seconds remaining to play. However the Rams could not fight back fast enough as time ran out in regulation.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt sophomore Elemy Colome had a team-high 18 points. She added seven assists and two rebounds.
- Sophomore Nicole Jorgensen had 16 points – all in the final two periods. She registered her fourth double-double of the season with 11 rebounds, while adding three blocks in 20 minutes of play before fouling out.
- Junior Jalissa Ross had a career-high 13 points and added four rebounds and a blocked shot.
- Rhode Island forced St. Bonaventure to 16 turnovers. The Rams scored 12 points off of those miscues.
- Points in the paint were knotted at 30-30.
Stat of the Game
6 – St. Bonaventure dressed just six players in the win.
The Rams return home to face La Salle on Saturday, Jan. 20. Tip time is set for 11:00 a.m. as the game will be televised nationally on CBSSN.