Dec 23, 2017
RHODE ISLAND VS. SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT - SERIES NOTES
- Thursday will be the 11th all-time meeting between the two schools.
- The last time the Rams and the Owls faced was on Jan. 20, 1983 with Rhody taking the 64-56 victory in Kingston, R.I.
- Southern Connecticut holds a 6-4 advantage in the all-time series, however Rhode Island has won each of the last four contests.
- The Owls are 5-1 on the road in the 2017-18 season.
- Kiana Steinauer and Africa Williams are both averaging 11.4 points per game. Steinauer is also the leading rebounder with 11.7 boards per game.
- Thursday's game will be the final non-conference game of the season, as the Rams begin Atlantic 10 play on Sunday, Jan. 31 when they face Richmond.
LAST TIME OUT - RHODY FALLS AT PENN, 84-66
- Penn exploded for 28 points in the first quarter and never looked back, handing Rhode Island a 84-66 loss on Dec. 22.
- Rhode Island found itself down by 11 points less than four minutes into the game, as Penn opened the game with a 17-3 run. The lead never got below 10 points as the Rams dropped their second game in a row.
- Redshirt sophomore Elemy Colome scored a career-high 25 points. She added four assists and three rebounds.
- Colome hit four 3-point shots and was 10-of-19 from the floor overall.
- Sophomore Nicole Jorgensen recorded her second double-double in the last three games. She finished with 12 points and 11 rebounds. She had 19 points and 10 boards against Fairfield on Dec. 11.
- Freshman Abby Streeter was the third Ram in double digits. She had 12 points, with all of her scoring coming on 3-pointers. She was 4-of-9 from the 3-point arc.
- Freshman Maia Moffitt had six rebounds and five assists in 25 minutes off the bench.
- Penn had 19 offensive rebounds, which led to 17 second-chance points.
COLOME COMES OUT TO PLAY
- Redshirt sophomore Elemy Colome made her Rhode Island debut in the season opener against UMass Lowell after sitting out last season due to NCAA transfer rules.
- Currently the third leading scorer for Rhody, Colome averages 7.1 points per game.
- Colome filled the stat sheet with 19 points, nine assists, five steals and four rebounds against UMass Lowell.
- The nine assists in the season-opening victory were the most by Rhody since Charise Wilson dished out 10 in the season opener at Syracuse on Nov. 11 of last year.
- She was named to the Atlantic 10 Weekly Honor Roll for her performance (11/13).
- Colome scored a career-high 25 points at Penn (12/22). She added four assists, two rebounds and one steal.
- The last time a Ram scored 25 points was Charise Wilson in the game against Duquense on Feb. 18 of last season.
- The Lawrence, Mass. native transferred to Rhode Island last year after spending the 2015-16 season at James Madison, where she played just 3 minutes in a win over Morgan State.