Dec 08, 2017
RHODE ISLAND VS. MICHIGAN STATE - SERIES NOTES
- Saturday's game will be the third time meeting between the two schools.
- In the last meeting, Michigan State defeated Rhody 85-48 on Dec. 8, 2016 in Kingston, R.I.
- This is just the second time the Rams have played in East Lansing- the first was on Nov. 29, 2006, when Rhode Island fell to MSU 67-40.
- Michigan State is 5-3 so far this season, most recently falling 90-59 to Notre Dame on Dec. 6.
- The Spartans are 4-0 at home, and have held opponents to an average of 67.4 points per game.
- Branndais Agee averages 10.1 points per game for Michigan State, followed closely by Sidney Cooks who averages 10.0 points per game.
- The game will air on the Big Ten Network.
LAST TIME OUT - RAMS FALL TO PROVIDENCE IN OCEAN STATE TIP-OFF CONSOLATION GAME
- Foul trouble hurt Rhode Island as it fell 64-42 at Marist on Dec. 6.
- The Rams committed 23 personal fouls, slowing down the bench rotation. Meanwhile, Marist went on a 7-0 run with 5:40 remaining in the first quarter to set a 12-7 lead.
- Rhode Island struck back and went on a 4-2 run started by a layup by Nicole Jorgensen to close out the quarter down 14-11.
- The Rams appeared to be off to a quick start in the second quarter when a 3-pointer by Marta Vargas tied the game at 14.
- Foul trouble for Rhody sent the Red Foxes to the line where they made 9-of-10 free throws in the second, putting Marist up nine at the break.
- Marist pulled away in the third quarter, going on an 18-0 run that started at the 8:08 mark after the Rams' lone field goal of the period.
- The Red Fox lead climbed to as much as 27, and Rhode Island could not catch up, resulting in its seventh straight loss.
- Sophomore Nicole Jorgensen led the Rams with 11 points and six rebounds in 17 minutes before fouling out.
- Junior Jalissa Ross had five points, making 3-of-4 from the free throw line. She added five rebounds and one assist.
- Freshman Abby Streeter had 10 points, three rebounds, and one assist.
- The Rams committed 23 turnovers to the Red Foxes 12. Marist scored 20 points off of the Rhody turnovers.
- Marist held the advantage in bench points, contributing 23 points from the reserves. The Rams had eight points from their bench.
YEAR OF IMPROVEMENT
- Four players have already averaged more points per game in eight games this season than they averaged in 2016-17.
- Junior Dina Motrechuk averages 7.7 points per game, as compared to last year's 7.0 points per game.
- Sophomore Nicole Jorgensen is averaging 11.3 points in three games this year, after missing four contests due to injury. She averaged 7.0 points per game a year ago.
- Junior Jalissa Ross averages 6.4 points per game, compared to her 4.4 points per game last year.
- Sophomore Laura Perez is averaging 2.8 points per game in five games this year. She was out the 2016-17 season due to injury.
- Newcomers Abby Streeter (8.8), Marta Vargas (6.3), Elemy Colome (5.6), Meghan Oberg (4.3), Maia Moffitt (2.3), Gabrielle Green (1.9), and Kasey Gagan (.4) are combining for 29.6 points per game so far this season.