Ross, Oberg, Motrechuk, Colome, Vargas
UMass Lowell Starters
Louro, McKie, Gibbs, Rudolph, Lopez
How it Happened
Redshirt-sophomore Elemy Colome made her Rhody debut as a dynamic scorer posting 19 points, leading the Rams to a 81-64 victory over UMass Lowell in Kingston Friday night.
Rhode Island (1-0) came out to a strong start, leading the first quarter 19-16. UMass Lowell fought back by scoring the first five points of the second period. A layup by Paula Lopez was followed by a 3-pointer - again by Lopez - to put the River Hawks (0-1) up 21-19. The Rams then went on a 15-4 run to gain the lead of 36-25 and entered the half up 39-32.
The rest of the game was all Rhode Island domination, with the Rams never trailing behind the River Hawks. The Rams would extend their lead by as much as 24 points, but a 14-7 run in the late fourth quarter by UMass Lowell cut the Rhody lead to 17. However a pair of good 3-pointers by Colome would seal the 81-64 win for the Rams.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt-sophomore Elemy Colome led all scorers with 19 points, nine assists, five steals, and four rebounds.
- Freshman Abby Streeter contributed 17 points, two steals, one rebound, and one assist in her freshman debut.
- Sophomore Nicole Jorgensen had 15 points, seven rebounds, and one block.
- Redshirt-freshman Meghan Oberg started in her first game as a Ram. She grabbed nine rebounds, had five points, and three assists.
- Freshman Marta Vargas added 12 points, four assists, and two steals.
- As a team, Rhode Island went 8-for-12 in free throws.
- The Rams scored 38 of their points in the paint, and 37 came from the reserves.
Stat of the Game
7 - Seven players made their Rhody debut in the victory, with three scoring in double figures.
The Rams host Minnesota on Monday, Nov. 13. Game time is set for 7:00 p.m.