Nov 03, 2017
- Sunday's game will be the first meeting between the two schools.
- The game is an exhibition and will not count toward either team's official statistics.
- Admission to the game is free for all guests.
- Rhode Island finished last season 6-23 (2-14 A-10) in Daynia La-Force's third season with the program.
- The Rams reached the quarterfinals of the 2016 Atlantic 10 Tournament, only to fall to Saint Joseph's 77-51.
- NYIT competes in Division II's East Coast Conference. The Bears were picked second in the league's preseason poll after finishing 18-12 overall and 10-8 in league play a year ago.
- NYIT's senior point guard Nina Vukosavljevic was voted the East Coast Conference Preseason Player of the Year by the league's coaches.
WILSON NAMED TO CONFERENCE PRESEASON SECOND TEAM
- Senior guard Charise Wilson was named to the Atlantic 10 Preseason All-Conference Second Team in voting among the league's head coaches.
- Wilson averaged 19.1 points, 4.9 rebounds, and 4.5 assists per game during the 2016-17 season.
- Joining Wilson on the team were Davidson junior guard Justine Lyon, Massachusetts sophomore guard Hailey Leidel, St. Bonaventure senior guard Mariah Ruff and Saint Joseph's senior forward Adashia Franklyn.
- This is the third time Wilson has been named to the A-10's Preseason All-Conference team. She also collected First Team accolades as a junior and was a Second Team selection her sophomore season.
- The West Babylon, N.Y. native enters her senior season at Rhode Island averaging 17.3 points per game, 4.5 rpg, 3.7 assists per game and 2.0 steals per game.
SEVEN NEW FACES JOIN THE RAMS
- Rhode Island welcomes seven newcomers to the 2017-18 squad.
- Two transfers - Davida Dale and Erin Jones - are among the new faces this season. Dale, a Providence, R.I. native, joins the Rams after spending two years at Syracuse. Jones, from High Bridge, N.J., is a transfer from Hartford. The two will sit out the 2017-18 season due to NCAA transfer rules, but will have multiple years of eligibility to play for Rhode Island.
- Maia Moffitt (Bay Shore, N.Y.), Abby Streeter (Nashua, N.H.), and Jessica Rogers (Rutherford, N.J.) also join the Rams as freshmen in 2017-18, as do classmates Marta Vargas and Kasey Gagan.
- A native of Amadora, Portugal, Vargas comes to Rhody with several years of experience playing for the Portuguese National Team. Gagan joins the Rams as a walk-on from Warwick, R.I.
ODDS AND ENDS
- Rhode Island averaged 6.2 three pointers last year, which ranked fifth in the conference.
- The Rams had 163 blocked shots in 2016-17, setting a new single-season team record.
- Rhody has blocked 100 or more shots in four straight seasons.
- Redshirt-sophomore guard Laura Perez and senior guard Charise Wilson will serve as team captains this year.