Wilson, M. Johnson, Ward, A. Johnson, Motrechuk
Reilly, Will, Butler, Shayna Mehta and Erika Steeves
How It Happened
A furious rally came up short for Rhode Island as the Rams fell at Brown 76-65 on the first day of the Ocean State Tip-Off.
Brown (4-3) opened the game with a 13-4 run in the opening four minutes, jumping out quickly behind forward Erika Steeves. Steeves had eight points in the first quarter as the host Bears finished the period with a 23-14 lead.
The Bears extended their lead in the second quarter, scoring 25 points as they pushed their advantage to 15 points at the break. Brown shot 50.0 percent (18-for-36) from the floor, scoring 24 points in the paint in the first half.
Rhode Island (4-4) fell behind by as many as 22 points in the second quarter before Charise Wilson rallied the Rams in the fourth quarter. Wilson scored 10 consecutive points for Rhody to cut the deficit to 10 points with 5:58 to go. Morgan Johnson's 3-pointer with 3:09 left made it a seven-point game. That was as close as the Rams got.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Charise Wilson had her fourth straight game with at least 25 points, finishing with 27 points, eight rebounds, three assists and two steals.
- Wilson moved into sole possession of 12th place in scoring in Rhode Island history. She now has 1,154 career points, passing Shayla Johnson (1,139 from 2000-04) and Tasha King (1,151 from 1993-97) Saturday.
- Junior Dominique Ward just missed a double-double. She had 11 points and nine rebounds to go with three steals.
- Sophomore Jalissa Ross had eight points and six rebounds off the bench.
- Junior Tyler Raysor had career-highs with five points and six rebounds.
- Senior Dempsey Cooper played a career-high 18 minutes, filling in for Charise Wilson, who suffered a bloody nose in the first half.
- Sophomore Amari Johnson made her first career start.
- Freshman Nicole Jorgensen had six points and one block in seven minutes off the bench.
Stat of the Game
34 – Brown attempted 34 free throws, compared to 20 for Rhode Island.
Rhode Island plays Bryant Sunday in the consolation game of the Ocean State Tip-Off Sunday afternoon. Game time is 1 p.m.