Ross, Wilson, M. Johnson, Ward, Motrechuk
Oberdorf, Clement, Henningsdottir, Fitzpatrick, Hand
How It Happened
Rhode Island used a strong shooting performance and a smoothing defense to get its first win of the season, beating Marist 82-61 Sunday afternoon.
The Rams (1-1) scored at least 19 points in each of the first three quarters, building a 19-point lead heading into the final period. Rhody had eight 3-point baskets and shot 46.9 percent through three quarters to establish the lead.
Marist (0-2) used a 7-1 run early in the fourth quarter to trim the cut the lead to 15 points, but the Red Foxes never cut the lead below double digits.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhode Island's bench came up big, outscoring the Marist bench 33-7.
- Junior Morgan Johnson and sophomore Amari Johnson both set career highs in scoring, combining for 25 points. Morgan Johnson had 12 points, hitting a career-high four 3-pointers. Amari Johnson had 13 points and three rebounds off the bench.
- Junior Dominique Ward filled the stat sheet, scoring 10 points, grabbing eight rebounds and dishing out a team-high six assists. She also had two steals and one blocked shot.
- Junior Charise Wilson scored a game-high 19 points to go with eight rebounds and five assists.
- Freshman Ednaija Lassiter scored 11 points off the bench, giving the Rams a fifth player in double digits for points. She was 4-of-6 from the floor, including 3-for-5 from 3-point range.
- Sophomore Jalissa Ross had six points, three rebounds, two assists, two steals and one block.
- Forwards Tyler Raysor and Nicole Jorgensen combined for seven points and six rebounds off the bench.
- Sophomore guard Josie Chaves scored her first career basket in the second quarter after she got a steal and went the length of the floor for a layup.
- Rhode Island reached double digits in steals for the second straight game, finishing with 10. The Rams have 24 through two contests.
Stat of the Game
82 – Rhode Island scored 82 points, the most it has scored against a Division I opponent in 248 games, dating back to an 82-73 win at Saint Louis on Jan. 23, 2008. The Rams had 89 in a regular-season content against Division III opponent Rhode Island College during the 2012-13 season.
Rhode Island travels to Toledo for a game Tuesday night.