Melendez, Wilson, Banker, Ward, Tabakman
La Salle Starters
Alston, Griffin, Owens, Freeland, Mintzer
How It Happened
Rhode Island never trailed as it won at the road against La Salle, 72-61 Saturday afternoon.
The Rams (8-9, 2-3 A-10) scored the first six points of the game and established a double-digit advantage by the end of the first quarter, leading 22-12. After a back-and-fourth second quarter, La Salle (3-14, 0-5 A-10) trimmed the lead to as little as three points in the third quarter.
With the Explorers again threatening in the final quarter, Rhode Island held a 59-54 lead. After consecutive stops by the defense, Charise Wilson hit a layup to push the lead to seven for the Rams. Another stop by the defense led to a Samantha Tabakman layup, putting the Rams up by nine points. From there, Rhode Island hit its free throws and never let La Salle back in the game.
Inside the Box Score
- Charise Wilson scored a game-high 21 points to lead the offense.
- Samantha Tabakman just missed her second double-double of the week, scoring 12 points and grabbing nine rebounds.
- Symone Bullard and Kallie Banker each scored nine points, while Dominique Ward added eight.
- Tayra Melendez had a career-high six assists, five of which came in the first half. She added eight rebounds, four points, two steals and one block.
- Amari Johnson gave the Rams a boost off the bench in the first half, scoring five points and grabbing three offensive rebounds in six minutes. She finished with seven points, four boards and two steals.
- Dina Motrechuk had two points, three blocks and four rebounds in eight minutes.
- Rhody's bench scored 18 points, 12 of which came in the first half.
- Rhode Island scored 22 points off of 15 La Salle turnovers.
- The 40 points in the first half were the most for Rhode Island in any half this season.
Stat of the Game
5-0 – Rhode Island is 5-0 in Saturday games this season.
Rhode Island gets a full week off before it hosts Davidson Saturday, Jan. 23. It will be the first-ever visit to the Ryan Center for the Wildcats. Game time will be 1 p.m.