Ross, Wilson, Banker, Ward, Tabakman
Giuliamo, Mead, Zimmerman, Surloff, Oliver
How it Happened
After a first quarter that featured four lead changes and three ties, Rhode Island (5-4) found itself up 23-17 midway through the second period. However, Columbia (6-4) then used back-to-back-to-back 3-pointers to spark an 11-2 run that sent URI into the break trailing 28-25.
The Rams took their first lead of the third quarter after four straight points from Symone Bullard made it 40-39 Rhode Island with 2:36 remaining. The Lions made another late push though, using Emily Surloff's third trey of the game to end the frame on top 46-44.
With Columbia up by four (48-44) in the final quarter, the Rams held the Lions scoreless for the next four an a half minutes while using a 7-0 run to reclaim the lead at 51-48. Rhody then found itself on the opposite end of an 8-0 spurt as Columbia moved ahead 56-51 with 1:33 to go. That was the end of the scoring for the Lions though, as a free throw by Tayra Melendez, followed by five straight points from Bullard, gave URI the 57-56 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Symone Bullard finished with 11 points - including the final five which allowed the Rams to rally back from a 56-52 deficit in the game's final 46 seconds. She also added a pair of rebounds, two steals and an assist in 21 minutes on the floor.
- Senior Samantha Tabakman finished with 13 points and 16 rebounds. The double-double - which came before halftime - was her third in a row, fifth of the season and eighth of her career.
- In two games this week, Tabakman averaged 12.5 points, 17.5 rebounds and 3.5 blocks.
- Senior Tayra Melendez also double-doubled for the Rams, finishing with 10 points and a season-best 11 boards. She also added two blocks, an assist and a big-time steal with 55 seconds remaining in regulation.
- Sophomore Charise Wilson registered a game-high 15 points, four steals, two assists and four rebounds. She has now recorded four-or-more steals in five of Rhody's nine games this season.
- Sophomore Dominique Ward had a pair of blocks for the Rams, including one with just 16 seconds left in the game. She also had seven points, six rebounds, two assists and a steal.
- The win marked Rhody's first-ever over the Lions as the Rams dropped the only other meeting between the teams, 79-69, in overtime last season.
Stats of the Game
- 56 - Rhode Island held Columbia to just 56 points on the afternoon - 13 fewer than the Lions' season scoring average of 69.0 points per game. Only No. 17 Arizona State held Columbia to fewer points (49) through the team's 10 games this season.
- 57 - The Rams have scored 57 points in each game during their three-game winning streak.
Rhode Island returns to the Ryan Center to take on Providence on Sunday, Dec. 20. Game time is 2 p.m.