Melendez, Wilson, Ward, Bullard, Lewis
George Mason Starters
Murray, Jackson, McNair, Brown, Mokube
How It Happened
Rhode Island (12-7, 4-3 A-10) prevented George Mason from finding any flow on offense, as the Rams won 57-45 to pick up a key Atlantic 10 victory Saturday afternoon.
Rhode Island used its defense to build a 31-22 halftime advantage. The defense held George Mason to 25 percent shooting from the floor in the first half. The Patriots started the game missing their first eight field goal attempts and finished the half 8-for-24.
On the offensive end, freshman Charise Wilson scored 16 points before the break on the strength of her outside shooting. Wilson was 4-for-8 from beyond the arc.
The Rams held George Mason's Taylor Brown – the Atlantic 10's leading scorer – to 10 points. The 45 points were the fewest given up by Rhode Island this season and the lowest for an opponent since a 59-40 win over Mason (11-8, 3-3 A-10) last season. While the Rams maintained their defensive pressure, junior Sydney Lewis keyed the offense. Lewis scored 11 of her 15 points after halftime.
Inside the Box Score
- The Rhode Island staff members all wore lime green for the game in honor of Kent State women's basketball head coach Danielle O'Banion, who is battling lymphoma.
- Charise Wilson had her sixth 20-point game of the season. She tied her career high by hitting five 3-point shots.
- Junior Sydney Lewis just missed her second straight double-double, finishing with 15 points and nine rebounds. She also had two blocked shots.
- Junior Tayra Melendez had seven points, seven rebounds, four steals and three assists.
- Each team was called for just three fouls in the first half. Rhody committed just nine for the game.
- Rhode Island was 11-for-12 at the free throw line. Junior Symone Bullard hit four in a row to seal the victory in the final 30 seconds.
- Bullard finished the game with eight points, two steals and two rebounds.
- Freshman Dominique Ward had seven rebounds, two assists and one steal. She also hit one of Rhody's eight 3-point shots.
- Rhode Island outrebounded George Mason, 42-37.
- Rhode Island is now 2-2 on the road in conference play. The last time the Rams had multiple road A-10 victories was 2007-08, when they were 3-4 on the road.
- It was Rhode Island's first visit ever to the Patriot Center.
Stat of the Game
45 – Rhode Island held George Mason to 45 points, the lowest total for any opponent this season.
Rhode Island is off for the nearly a week before it hosts Richmond Friday, Jan. 30 (7 p.m.).